Early Notice

I sit down at a table inside the bustling diner and begin to scroll through my facebook feed. Sooner than I expected, my coffee came along with a napkin. I raised my head to thank the waitress but she was walking away, soon lost in the crowd of servers and customers. I grab for my coffee and raise it too my lips when I notice something.

Printed on the napkin are words.

I set my coffee down and bring the napkin closer to my face. It reads, Emily Warener, you have two hours to pack and leave this city. The buzzing noise of the public in the background fades into the background as I read on. This location is no longer safe for you anymore. A black sedan with a registration number of XDF901 will be waiting outside this diner to take you to your home by 4:15pm. Be ready.

I look around wearily. ‘Very funny I mutter’. What kind of practical joke is this? The bathroom door swings open and Ciel comes out. ‘You know’ I begin, ‘If you’re going to try and prank me, you should make sure your prank is at least believable.

‘Prank you? Why would I ever do that?’ Ciel laughs. Nothing ever gets past you. Pranking you would be boring’

‘Then what’s this’ I wave the napkin in front of her face.

She takes her time reading it and her brow furrows. ‘That’ she starts, ‘Is not from me’.

‘Don’t lie to me. The joke was funny before. Not so funny now’.

‘I’m not lying. I’m being serious’.

‘Ciel, don’t get me worried. You can stop now’ I say but the look in her eyes tell me she isn’t behind this.

My eyes search for the woman who served me my coffee. I jump off my seat when I find her and hurry toward her. ‘What is this? Do you think you’re being funny?’ I ask.

The waitress looks dazed. ‘Darl, I don’t know what you’re talking about’. Her eyes scan the napkin and she raises a brow. ‘Sounds like someone’s got it in for you’ she says with disinterest and turns around.

‘Hey wait! I want an answer. Who wrote this?’ I call and step in front of her.

‘I have no idea and no reason to care sweetheart. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have work to do’ she walks around me.

When I look back at Ciel I see the worry on her face. She runs up to me to tell me something but I don’t need to hear it from her. I check the time. 4:15pm.

And when I look outside.

I see a black sedan.




FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!