The Fortune Cookie

I cracked the fortune cookie open and I couldn't believe it.
Death...
Was written in big black letters across the paper, so what was I supposed to think? I wept silently and immediately lost my appetite. I said probably my last good night to my mum and brother and sulked off to my bedroom. The bed sheets sucked me in and the pillows almost suffocated me. I realised that soon I'd be playing ping-pong with Elvis on a cloud, so I needed my energy. I tried to sleep, but my mind was racing.
What will this death feel like? Does it hurt? Or does it just happen? What will happen when I do die? Or will someone else die?
The never ending whirlpool of agonising thoughts lasted late into the night. I looked over to my clock. 11:59 it read, which meant I was up for almost 3 hours. It's not unusual for me, but I usually play games for 2 hours and then ponder about the world for another. But this time, no video games, just death. Death, death, death. I wished that I hadn't asked for packaged fortune cookies for dessert.
The morning sun told my brain to get up and get ready for death. Usually I would refer to school being death, but today I was getting ready for the real thing. I packed my bags and tried to look normal as I walked to the place lots of kids called hell. I knew today was going to be my last day alive.
First period was Physical Education, where I have none of my friends in it. The bell rang as soon as I walked in the school gates, and I raced to class. I have asthma, and worrying about dying today was filling up my mind. My asthma was kicking in and no-one saw me die of an attack, because everyone was in class. I slowly and painfully died, like my fortune cookie had told me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!