My Dad

“Chase me, Chase me”, calls Ben.
I sit on the veranda steps looking unamused. I decide to go inside to get away from my little brother who is playing loudly. Mum is in the kitchen writing her new book. She has been obsessed with this ever since I finished primary school, which was over a year ago.
“Go into your room and do your homework”, says Mum without even looking at me.
“It’s the weekend, I don’t have any. Remember?” I reply quite frustrated.
“Well, go and play with your sister or something”, Mum says again without even looking.
“Jamie’s at college. Remember?” I say once more frustrated.
Irritated, I stomp upstairs and sit into my room to sulk. Looking at the wall, I think about Dad. He was killed in the army 3 years ago. He was very quiet and shy but never with me. We used to dance and sing and he had a scar on his head… Bad thoughts hit me.
I stare at the clock and decide the best thing I can do is go for a walk. It will hopefully clear my thoughts and anger.
After clomping back downstairs and complaining at my mother, I put on my shoes and leave the house. The air is cool and crisp. I feel a very slight wind but nothing too big. Perfect. The road is very jagged and rocky but this doesn’t annoy me. I pass house by house, but then something blocks my way. Something big and blocking all the light. I look up. A huge truck is rumbling through but no one seems to be driving it.
“That’s strange”, I say.
“Very”, calls a shockingly low voice from behind me.
I turn around and a man stairs at me. He is quite short and has bright orange hair. His nose is big and plump, much too big for his face and his eyes are small and green. He wears a pink blazer and a green shirt along with yellow pants, socks and shoes. He holds his hand out, gives me a heavy key, clicks and then disappears.


The key is large and rusted. I look up. A magical looking key-hole is hovering above me and scares me. Should I try and put the key in?
I tremble as I slowly place the key into the keyhole. I slowly twist it and …..
All I now see is men holding big guns. They are wearing brown uniforms and some of them have shining medals. The sky is black. Loud crackling noises awaken me and I notice big planes. They cover the ground and over shadow me and all of the other men. Bombing planes.
“HIDE!” I yelp
A big face appears. They seem familiar but I don’t seem to recognise them. Suddenly, I notice the scar on the man’s forehead. I feel dizzy and scared. The last thing I remember is the small and kind smile, before I topple over and darkness hits me.



FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!