The Swim Team:Proud Sponsor Of Paralympics 2016 Rio

The swim team
Lizzie woke up in a hospital bed, dazed and confused. Why was she in a hospital, shouldn't she be at school? She flipped back the covers of the bed and gasped in surprise, tears filled her eyes. She remembered the honking horns, the cars crashing, and the shatter of glass. She knew she would never swim again. Lizzie loved swimming more than anything in the world. She was in the swim team at school and was an amazing swimmer. She moved her one leg, the other a stump from where her leg had been cut off. She felt sick. She heard her mum come into the room and she burst into tears. Her mum hugged her tight. ‘I will never be able to swim again, this has ruined who I am’ she says. Her mum kissed Lizzie’s head. ‘You are still you, nothing has changed.’ Lizzie didn't believe that. She wasn't normal like before, now she only has one leg instead of two.
A few days later, Lizzie was resting at home, hopping around on crutches. She felt miserable and sad and lonely. She didn’t feel whole. Her friends felt for her and sent her presents to cheer her up, it didn’t work. Lizzie began to go to school a week later, teachers pitied her and children were sad for her loss. Lizzie didn’t notice. She couldn't ever swim again, that’s all that mattered to her. She grew frail, pale, skinny and fragile by the day, her mum and dad and her pet turtle Algae worried for her. She grew taller and more mature by the years though. On her 16th birthday, Lizzie looked outside, the clouds heavy and grey, her heart just like the clouds above. Her mum and dad have seen pain in Lizzie’s eyes every time she sees her friends swim at a carnival or when she sees pro swimmers on television ads. The 2016 Rio Olympics had just passed and she had watched the swimmers swim, her heart ached to have two legs again.
As Lizzie sat at the table, about to get her birthday present from her dad and mum, she cried silently. The phone rang and Lizzie’s dad ran to get it. ‘Hello... ah is this for Lizzie? Yes I’ll go get her’ said Lizzie’s dad. He motioned for Lizzie to come answer the phone, a bright and happy look on her mum, dad and Algae the turtle. She answered it. ‘Hello....’ On the other end of the phone, a voice said... ‘Hello. My names Angela, I am a Paralympics swim trainer, your parent enrolled you for the Paralympics, I have heard big things from you Lizzie, please come to the Paralympics to swim?’ said Angela. Lizzie said...
‘Yes I will come, thank you Angela’ As Lizzie shakily hung up the phone, she burst into happy tears. She hugged her parents and thanked them. ‘Dreams really come true’ she said crying happy tears.
The end
For the Paralympics 2016 Rio

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!