Look Behind You...

Excellence Award in the 'Word Zone 2016' competition

Chilling was the evening as another autumn night was approaching. The children, Bertha and eldest Matthew had dashed inside quickly as they had smelt the exquisite aroma of their mother’s Spinach meatloaf, drizzled with steaming onion gravy and baked cheesy potato. As they had their dinner they could hear the whispers of the wind brushing against the sandstone bricks of their mansion and the creaking of mahogany of the walls and doors.
When the children had finished they went to their shared room and had waited for their mother to step forth in the room. Their mother always sings them their lullaby called “Look behind you”. She started to proceed singing the lyrics until they had both drifted to slumber.
It was exactly 03:04 in the morning and both of the children had woken to the estranged sound of a piano playing gracefully in the house, the only thing was they did not have a piano for them to play nor a grammar phone to listen amongst. Bertha proceeded to slither out of bed and tremble to the door as she was still half asleep. Her brother refused to let her go by herself so he followed along like a fragile little gosling following their mother goose.
When they opened the door, it creaked unrealistically loud to hide the whispers of their lullaby but no matter the door they could still hear their lullaby as if it was screamed right to their pale little faces. The kitchen dining room light flickered to show a table of a three course meal laid out just for them to sink their curious little teeth into, steaming up the entirety of the dining room like the clothing iron usually would. Appetizing it looked, but they still hesitated to eat the food.
They continued to walk down the hallway nervously but daringly, determined to uncover the mysterious piano. As they walked to the entertaining room, once before uninhabited by a piano something had stopped them in their path, it was a lady standing about 5.6ft tall with a slender build and short straight hair completely submerged in a shadow was staring at the innocent little children with evil eyes.
Though she didn’t speak, they could foresee the message crisp and clear, she wanted them to leave immediately and to not fathom a single word to the police. She slowly bent down to the children and whispered to their tiny ears, “Do not fathom a single word or I will find you and I will kill you like your mother before you, do I make myself clear?”
The children didn’t respond, they just packed their suitcases full of clothing, toiletries and other significant items and vanished into the foggy distance of the early morning, leaving the loved and dreaded in the spirits of the shadow lady.
LOOK BEHIND

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!