The Dare

“Alright Smarty Marty, are you up for another dare?” Asked Nathan, grinning. Six expectant faces stared at him, waiting for his usual reply. After all, he was just back from his latest stunt, The Bat Bomb, involving a leap of faith off his roof, onto the trampoline, which cost him a broken arm but gained him the admiration of his mates.
“You know the answer. What do I have to do?” Said Marty, punching the air with his closed fist.
“Sucked in again!” Sniggered Nathan to the gang. “Your task is to go up to Madeline Alvarez and get her to kiss you.”
The whole gang went, “Ooh!” Madeline was the most beautiful girl in the school and boy, did she know it! It was challenging enough to even get within two metres of her.
“That’ll be a piece of cake!” Boasted Marty. ‘Girls love dare-devils like me,’ he thought.
Without hesitation, Marty strolled up to the ‘Giggle Gang’ and came face-to-face with Madeline. “I’m on a mission. Give me a kiss.”
“Let me guess! It’s another one of the gang’s pathetic dares,” sneered Madeline while the others giggled and pointed at Marty.
“Drop dead Smarty!” Snapped Madeline, flicking her hair and turning to go.
Suddenly she stopped and looked at Marty with an evil grin. “On second thoughts I’ll do it! But you have to do my double dare which is to go into the haunted house after dark.” Although Marty felt sick in the stomach, he replied, “That doesn’t scare me. I accept.” The ‘Giggle Gang’ squealed in horror and Madeline walked off, hiding her grin.
After soccer training that night, there were a dozen anxious students outside the haunted house near the tip. Rumours had it that a creepy witch lived there. Everyone stayed a safe distance away from the rusty chain wire fence, as Marty approached the awful gargoyles at the entrance. A plastic sheet on the roof flapped in the wind. He shivered. Brown paint was peeling off the front door. He timidly pushed it and it creaked open. As he crept inside the light of his phone shone on the grandfather clock in the hall.
When Marty was half-way down the hall, he heard low, moaning noises ahead. His hair stood on end and he shook like wobbly jelly. He shone the shaking light in front of his feet. A pale, trembling old lady lay twisted at the bottom of the stairs. “Help me please,” she begged. She reminded him of his grandma in hospital. He knew she was no witch.
“Don’t worry. I’ll call the ambulance and they’ll come soon,” whispered Marty.
Everyone was horrified when the ambulance arrived. Nathan screamed, “He’s dead!” The ‘Giggle Gang’ burst into tears.
Out of the haunted house came a stretcher with the so-called witch on it, followed by Marty looking proud as the officer shook his hand.
Marty darted over to Madeline saying, “I’ll have my kiss now!” And she gave him a lingering kiss.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!