Infected

A white flash crossed my face as I woke up and so did my family. We were poor but in a rich city. We had an apartment on the fourth level. It was small compared to the other rooms but that doesn’t matter. It was Christmas day.
“Is everyone alright”. My dad asked.
“Yeh,” we all replied.
“Ahhhh.” We heard people from all directions.
Dad asked me to go to the kitchen quickly and asked everyone to pack up. I scrambled to the kitchen as well as my dad did. We heard heaps of screaming. The rest of the family were looking out the window shocked. The radio said, “An attempt of a smallpox outbreak’. As I slipped away to the kitchen so the bedroom was out of view dad started talking quickly, “If I die tell me you will look after your mum and younger sister’.
“Sure but where are you going?”
“Just tell them I’m going for a long detour.” He handed me a pocket knife and said, “Only use it if you need to and call the military to pick you up in a chopper once at the roof top.”
I hurried to the bedroom where everyone stood dumb smack. I didn’t tell them.
I told them to go to the roof. Once we were at the top of the stairs, Mum reached up to open the door for us. After a good minute I followed my mum was on one side of the edge of the rooftop and so was my SISTER! I rushed over and picked her up and put her away from the edge of the rooftop. ”Mum, call the military for a helicopter”. Dad was an EX-military member. I suddenly noticed my sister pointing. I followed were her hand was pointing. I leant over the edge of the roof and saw my dad. He was fighting off these two men that looked pale, white and throwing their hands like mad. My dad was ducking and weaving most of their punches and wearing a few. The two pale men charged at him and I couldn’t see what happened after that, then I saw the helicopter.
We jumped in, but as soon as I did one of the army members yelled, “Duck”.
I ducked and shut my eyes and heard a loud bang over my head. I opened my eyes and looked up to see an army member holding a rifle above me. When it happened I didn’t want to look. The helicopter started to move forward.
We were flying pretty low to the ground. I was yanked forward then I realized someone shot the back of the chopper. I jumped out. “Ouch”. I heard the helicopter blow up. I suddenly passed out.
One month later I found myself in a stinky sewer with someone I now call a friend and he trained me to defend myself, also every Friday we would raid the food stores for food.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!