Eternal Faith

I take a long, hard stare at the blue sea. The crisp, salty air and the gentle lapping of water creates a false scene of serenity. I kick the sand with my bare feet and my toe gets cut on a sharp twig, but I do not care. I feel a hand grasping my shoulder, but I do not give a glimpse to the person behind me.
“Are you still mad about your dad?” A gentle voice says. I shrug the hand off my shoulder. I stay silent.
“Your dad is in a better place now.”
“But he shouldn’t of!” I shout. “Why couldn’t I be the one? I could of helped dad, don’t you get it mum?”
“Jen, you know your dad and I would be devastated if you weren’t here with us anymore.”
Tears fill my eyes.
“I know that! I’m devastated that dad isn’t here anymore!!”
I give another cold, hard, stare at the sea.
“Why?” I shout at the sea. “Why did you do this to me? You didn’t have to take my dad! He never did anything cruel to you!”
I wait for the sea to answer. Nothing. “Typical,” I mutter. I walk back to our house and take some flowers from the garden. Roses. Dad’s favourite. Then I walk to the graveyard. The graveyard has an odd, musty smell. There are hundreds of graves everywhere, and I can see a funeral in progress. I walk up to my dad’s grave. I look at the decrepit gravestone. It had been twelve years since I lost him. But I have thought of him every day since. I place down the flowers beside his gravestone with the engraved words: ‘Patrick Phillips: Drowned during the Boxing Day tsunami; 1955-2004’.
I can remember the day when I was just 13 years old. We were running for our lives from the tsunami. We managed to get onto the roof of a house with the help of other people there. We were just about to get dad up but we were too late and he got swept away. I never saw him again. Those three seconds had left a scar on my life forever. A few tears land on the coarse ground where he laid buried. Things have never been the same since his loss. But I know that he will come back. It may be tomorrow, in a few months, years, or centuries, or even a millennia. But I know that he will come back. And I’m sure that he will.
Because I have faith.
Eternal faith.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!