The Lizard Of Oz

In the dry deserts of Australia, there once lived a lizard called Cactus. He was a very miserable lizard. One day he was just enjoying the afternoon sun when he had the feeling he was being watched. He looked up and to his horror he saw a falcon. “DANGER!” He shouted to warn the other lizards. He quickly ran into a log nearby and waited for the frilled necks to scare the predator away. When Cactus finally came out, the others began to mock him. “You’re a disgrace to our species!” “Are you going to spend your whole life running away like that?!” “You don’t belong here, just leave!” “That’s it! I am going to leave!” So he set off into the unknown.
When Cactus had travelled about two kilometres he realised he had no idea where he was going. “Helloooo, helloooo!” He called, but everything was dead quiet. Suddenly out of some bushes jumped a kangaroo. “Hi, I’m Roo. Where are you going?” Asked the kangaroo. “I’m Cactus. I’m going somewhere where I’ll be safe and where others will appreciate me,” he said sadly. “I know! You’ll be safe with me and I can be your friend!” Shouted Roo excitedly. “That’s an excellent idea! But how are you going to keep me safe?” Asked the lizard. “If a predator comes, you can hide in my pouch and I’ll use my way of defence to scare it off!” “That’s very kind of you. I think I will stick with you.” Said Cactus. “Great!” So off they went together.
“Shhh! I heard something.” Whispered Roo. “Be very quiet.” “What could It be?” Asked Cactus in a frightened way. “I don’t know, but hop into my pouch, I think there is a predator near.” Roo was right, there was danger near, but it wasn’t an animal, it was humans! “Oh great; humans with their guns!” Whispered Roo in a scared tone. Roo started to hop away very silently. “Oh no! They saw me!” Cried Roo. Roo started to hop as fast as she could. “Hold on!” When Roo had hopped about 10 minutes, the humans lost track of them. “Phew! That was close!”
“I’m starving! I’m going to look for some berries. If you are in any danger, just run into that small cave over there.” So Roo went and Cactus was left alone. Roo hadn’t been gone for long when Cactus saw a dingo in the distance. He ran straight away into the cave. “Hey you; get out of my cave!” Someone yelled out. “I’m so sorry, I was just trying to escape the dingo,” stuttered Cactus. “Stand up for yourself!” “How? I haven’t any frills!” “Display your beard! You’re a Central bearded dragon!” “I never knew that!” “Well now you do weirdo, so out!” “Thank you so much!” “Don’t mention it! Goodbye.” When Cactus found Roo, he told her all that had happened so they went back happily to Roo’s home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!