The Dreamer

The girl carried the log on her shoulder. The home in which she had devoted her time to was wrecked. Again. For the zillionth time. The repairs were almost done, but nothing normal could stop it. Climbing up the old tree, she peeked over the thick bushes to see her friends happily playing soccer. A smile crept on her face. Even if she was alone, it felt good to know they were happy.
She closed eyes. If only...
The girl opened her eyes and smiled to see the familiar world. The grass was ridiculously overgrown, the oval was replaced by lush vegetation, a clearing replaced the sandpit, and a lone pine tree stood at the edge of the clearing. The dead branches were green and alive. This time, everything seemed extra vivid. It's stronger...
The girl blinked and grinned to see the dead branches green and alive in reality. Test time. She climbed the tallest gumtree and settled in the branches.
The boy grinned evilly before the home. He kicked the wall, but blinked when nothing broke. He rammed his shoulder. Nothing. His foot. Still nothing. Bruised and annoyed, he left.
The girl was satisfied. Done.
The girls are tied with the boys, 2-2. Five minutes left for the girls to do this. He passes over. She intercepts. She passes to the girl's star player and...huh?
The ball hit hard on her shoulder and the boys yelled. Still distracted, she glanced at the bush. What's my best friend doing? How's she climbing the air? Ignoring the game, she ran across the oval as she realised what was happening.
The girl stood before the pine tree, looking up into the leaves. I guess we're alike in away. We're both alone, with friends just out of reach.
Absentmindedly, the girl climbed the pine. At the topmost branch, she stood up and walked to the tip. Looking towards the west, she saw the pine tree forest. Your friends over there...
Balancing on the branch, she faced the trunk. And she fell.
It's never been that strong before! She glanced behind her shoulder and saw her friends running behind her, perplexed.
The girl wasn't falling. She was diving. Concentrating, she plummeted down like a hawk catching its prey. She saw her friends sprinting to her, and the faintest grin appeared on her face.
That face...Seriously? She skidded to a halt.
The girl plunged downwards until she was metres from the ground. Then she produced angel-like wings and soared centimetres over heads. A laugh escaped as she looped over and landed by the pine tree.
Her best friend swept over her head and landed. She ran towards the girl, laughing in relief. Her friends ran with her, and they embraced the girl in hugs. "You scared me so much! One day, I swear you'll kill yourself with dreams."
Her friends frowned at her words.
The girl smiled at her puzzled friends. "Come with me, and I'll show you what your imagination can do."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!