Words Can Hurt

“Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me”
A stick may bruise our body for a few days but words can bruise our spirit for a lot longer.
Words such as “I love you” or “I hate you” have the power to heal and the power to hurt.
To understand this power, we only have to look at people who are driven to the edge of suicide due to venomous words that ate away at their spirit, or the loving In Australia, one of our most cherished privileges is freedom of speech.
In Australia, one of our most cherished privileges is freedom of speech. This is a great right, however it does also come with great responsibility.
There is a difference between freedom of speech and a free for all. Insulting comments do not accomplish anything except hurt their intended subject. Now, don’t get me wrong, people do misinterpret and misunderstand words sometimes, Which is more importantly why that we should take care of what we’re saying and don’t claim our freedom of speech as a right to make false statements and hateful remarks.
I am sure you all can relate to the words of frustration heard during playground politics, like : “you can’t play with us because you are a retard.
These are not words of friendship, but a foul outpouring of alienation and exclusion.
Unable to accept the differences between us, playground bullies use words to torment others.
The hurt of those casual words stay locked inside for years and can definitely crush the spirit of their victims.
Nowadays, there is another way which may hurt someone’s feelings.
The opportunities to instantly publish a comment to a global audience whilst sitting behind a computer screen give the bullies the illusion that anything goes.
But that’s not true and it’s sad to see many friends and families become upset because they have been cyberbullied.
Once that finger clicks the send button, those words are in black and white for a long time and for everyone to see.
Do you remember how I started with sticks and stones may break my bones? Well this is when it can hurt and words can lead to actual illnesses like anxiety and depression
So we should always avoid hurting someone’s feelings by remembering simple things like thing before you speak, and think before you type.
Another good rule is, don’t let your personal problems or opinions get in the way of what you have to say.
It’s just these simple things that help all our soft vulnerable spots from being harmed
So we have the power to make or break someone’s day.
We can use our words and our keyboards to encourage others and be respectful about each other’s differences to make someone feel good about themselves.
What I’m trying to say, at the end of day is, connect to your happier and higher self and make an effort to use your words to make others feel good.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!