Day At The Beach

Lying sleepily, I spot a crow from my window trying to use its feathers to hide his scars of the past. He then flaps away feeling ashamed of himself so I give him a slow unsure wave goodbye as I slowly lift myself out of bed as if I’m a Zombie. I greet my parents ready for breakfast. Sitting deeply in my chair, shoving cornflakes into my mouth I suddenly remember we are going to the gloriously sunny beach. After a quick mouthful of cornflakes I rush upstairs, packing what I need for a day at the beach. ‘I can’t wait to go to the sunny sandy beach.’ I murmur to myself.
Throwing my surprisingly heavy bag into the car I fling myself into the back seat. “Pump up the radio dad, step on it mum!” I say as politely as I can. The car then flies at the speed of light.
“Not that fast mum or you’ll get pulled over.”
Pulling into the overcrowded beach carpark we see a beach ball fly onto our Toyota Camry like a torpedo.
“Hey!” screams dad, you childish kids better run away now!”
I try not to laugh but it bursts out, I then get the death stare off my foolishly fun father. Suddenly our whole car is filled with laughter.
“I wish it could always be like this.” I say but I get no answer. Sitting awkwardly in my sweaty seat I jump out the car and race mum to the best spot on the warm beach.
Furiously chasing a silly seagull that has a weird brown beak, I catch up to him at last but he flaps away as far as his wings can take him. Wading strongly through the true blue sea I splash the chilly water at dad. He then makes a wave and tumbles me over.
“Race you up to mum!” I challenge enthusiastically.
“You’re on!” he adds.
Sprinting like my life depends on it I zip past dad like I’m Usain Bolt and overtake by a millimetre. I just beat him.
“This is what I love about the beach it brings everyone together,” I mention nicely.
Sitting relaxed, I shove hot chips into my mouth so the seagulls don’t take them from me, and I ask dad if I can go for a surf. Slowly walking, dragging my purple surfboard along the rough sand I see a monster wave. Dad and mum are sitting on the beach watching me dive into the water with my board underneath me.
Paddling cautiously around some sharp rocks I make my way to the safest area.
‘Here’s my ride.’ I murmur. Standing proudly on my board I hear screams from the shore. ‘Oh no!’ I whisper. It’s the big bellied beast from the sea AKA a shark! Paddling for dear life I hear a chomp and a toothache along with it. I scream and swim to shore. Suddenly I’m surrounded by people and considering what just happened, I collapse in shock.
Later, lying in bed looking at my parents, they say we can leave the hospital, so we hug and walk to the car.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!