The Stowaway

Finalist in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

Everyday feels like heaven, with an abundant supply of fresh warm food. I live happily on my provider with thirty of my siblings.
“Aghhhhh! Not fleas again!” boomed a loud voice. The last time I heard that familiar frustrating tone, some of my siblings went missing and were never found again. It remains a mystery to this day where they went.
“Hide!” screamed my parents. Almost instantly, fingers reached down and urgently plucked some of my family up into the air. We all tried to bound away but it didn’t help. I was lucky to escape into a dark cave where I snuggled deep inside, then remained still and quiet.
After a long time, it felt safe to sneak out and search for my family but none of them could be found anywhere. I was devastated. Suddenly, I had lost everyone precious to me and my home was now no longer safe. I needed to get away… fast!
I managed to jump off discreetly and crept outdoors towards some green grass. By any chance, could my family members be there? Instantly, an eight-legged creature with a red mark on its back pounced right in front of my face. It looked like it was about to devour me alive! For some crazy reason, I felt it was best to jump onto its back. The creature tried to furiously shake me off but to no success. Eventually it ignored me, so I continued to ride on its back, calling out for my family. I didn’t hear a reply.
Just as I felt my efforts were hopeless, a hurricane of fur swept by and carried me away like the wind. I clung on for dear life and quickly burrowed myself into the thickest fur. I was surrounded on all sides by the fluffiest, softest and cosiest fur ever. I was in cloud nine!
Having not eaten anything all day, I was absolutely starving. I plunged my little fangs into the flesh and behold… warm fresh blood came oozing out in a slow stream, filling my tummy with happiness. It was the yummiest meal I had enjoyed for a long time. I felt bloated and the meal made me so sleepy that I temporarily forgot my misery and closed my heavy eyelids.
“Urrrrrr!” someone groaned.
“Who was that?” I asked.
A dark shadow came towards me from behind the tall ear of the furry creature. It was another flea, and about my age.
“Hi! I’ve never seen you around here before. Are you new?” it asked me.
“Yes, my name is Pierre. I am looking for my family”, I stammered.
“Why don’t you come with me? I might be able to help. By the way, I’m called Callum.”
I followed Callum inside the ear. There were hundreds of fleas feasting and others just hanging about. My family might just be amongst them. Now, I was filled with renewed hope and joy. Another exciting phase of my life was just beginning.
The End

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!