Among The Greatest

Finalist in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

I pick up the muddy lace of my dampened, wet Nike boot. The fluoro green colour blending with the saturated grass. Tying up my laces as the whirling winds and rain whistle past my ears and driving my hair flying backwards. The intense lights shining on my team. The crowd watching with thrill. I had finally made it into the stadium of my home and now realised how awfully lucky I was to be chosen to be standing on this very pitch.
I looked at downwards towards my feet. Only now, I realise how clean and colourful they used to be. The lively, energetic clothing, fresh from the Rebel Sports box. The newly manufactured smell filling the car space as I studied the beautifully designed fabric, string by string, strand by strand. It was amazingly lightweight tissue. As I inspected further downwards I examined the delicate moulded plastic studs. The boot was golden, stunning and glorious – but now the flashy, vibrant colours have been covered by muck and sludge.
But it isn’t about the boots, it’s about the player. Every player a familiar face to me. All throughout my life I have played the game, but never I seen a team so dedicated and hardworking. These incredible players are something special. I have been there for them and they have always been there for me. They all inspire me every time we play. Every pass, shot or tackle they have me proud.
And the coach – the soul and heart of the team. Supporting us every day – training, games, losses, wins. He provides guidance, applauds strengths, analyses weaknesses and offers inspiration. He has been there every morning, night, training, warm up, game and every triumph. Constantly making decisions, endlessly scheming a game plan, eternally instructing the players. He is that extra energy, that bonus spirit, that additional boost in the last few minutes of the game.
I stood up, waiting anxiously for the start. The crowd roaring like a sea of raging lions their glorious chants go on.
The captains meet together with the referee in the centre spot. The ball is placed on the starting position and the coin is flipped. Standing on the pitch with our fans behind me, cheering us on. My team mates running on into their starting positions. I waited eagerly for that whistle. The crowd was itching on their seats, who will be victorious?
The whistle signals the kick-off and the game starts. The ball is passed back towards our goal and hits our captain. He chips it long across my right wing and with incredible ball control, my partner chests the ball downwards to his feet. But the opposition was incredibly fast and the ball was tackled off him and out of play.
“Hey!” A voice from behind me breaks my concentration “You! Ball boy, hurry up and you get the that ball!”
“Sorry!” I yelled back as I ran to collect the ball.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!