The Chest Of Wonders

Finalist in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

Walking into Grandfather’s shed was like going back in time, it contained old furniture and books that were yellow with age. Lucas loved exploring the shed, as every time he did he would find something different. Last Sunday he found an ancient box, it was carved on the front and sides with unusual markings. Slowly he undid the clasp and opened it.
A shimmering light filled the shed, some of the ancient objects seeing light for the first time in who knows how long. After shielding his eyes from the surge of light, Lucas slowly peered into the cavernous chest, all he could see was a winding staircase leading down to an unmistakable chess board.
Standing in position on the chessboard were thirty one towering pieces leaving an empty kings square. Lucas slowly descended the stairs, his eyes glued to the chessboard for any sign of sudden movements. The bishops’ oval like head turned to Lucas and directed him to take his vital position as the black king. Lucas backed away toward the lid of the chest, only to find it was securely locked. His only option was to proceed with the game.
Upon stepping onto the snow white square, the stone like pieces rose to life. The game had begun! The black army moved instinctively with pieces of destructed chessmen falling from either side as the battle progressed. The pieces moved carefully around Lucas, protecting him from a vicious attack from the ferocious white army. The number of chessmen around him slowly decreased as the battle wore on.
Lucas looked around to only find a battered Rook and a brave Knight standing beside him. Calling on all their strength he knew this was their final charge, they moved stealthily trapping a number of the white enemies until only the cornered white King stood alone with no help at all. Checkmate!
The epic battle had drawn to a close. In the remains of the defeated King lay a silver key, glistening in the light. He turned his head to the direction of the Knight and Rook looking at them with appreciation in his eyes. Suddenly, the two chessmen shrunk down to a miniature size and Lucas knew just what to do. He grabbed the lifesaving key and his loyal friends, ran up the worn spiral stairs and out into the familiar space of his Grandfathers shed, he was safe and now he had his battle companions by his side.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!