Winter Wings

The birds were chirping and I could hear the leaves of the trees blowing in the distance. It was freezing in my tree for it was now winter and the forest around me was covered in snow. I jumped down from this old tree and on to a rock. "Cold!" I screamed as my feet hit the surface of this ice covered rock. I quickly took flight with my crystal, white wings open wide, as down underneath me was melting away. I landed on the exact spot I was standing and to my surprise it was warm like spring had returned.

As I walked on the cold, icy ground I expected my feet to freeze but the snow was melting and fresh, green grass arose from the dirt. I swept my wings around and over the snow, and it disappeared instantly. I kept going hoping that it would stop. Over and over I flew over the ground but no matter what I did to stop the catastrophe, the slushy snow now kept melting and melting until there was no snow left for me to touch. The ponds were no longer frozen and the plants and flowers were growing beautifully, like an exotic, lush oasis in the warm sun shine.

I grasped the snow in my hand and it melted into a puddle of warm water. The snowflakes from the sky melted as soon as it touched my skin or my wonderful wings. I sat on a log and begun to think, what if I will never get to touch this amazing crystals again and never get to experience winter at its fullest in my lifetime. And with that thought I stood up and begun to beat my gigantic wings, small feathers lightly falling onto the now growing garden of colour below. My gossamer wings lifted me into the air and I propelled myself, off and away from this place and to the world outside my vision. To a place I've never seen.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!