Stuck In The Past

I stood there watching the rest of the sunrise, then I went inside. Mother came down the stairs and when she saw me, she sternly told me to go to my room. After I went to my room, Mother came in and said calmly, "Astrid, I will discuss this with you after school but can you change your clothes please?"
"Yes Mother," I replied sighing and getting ready for school.
‘Mother thinks having an old fashioned life is great but it’s not anymore,’ I thought grumpily.
"Why were you wearing normal clothes, not old fashioned clothes?" Mother asked after dinner
"I’m 14. I want to live a normal life Mother!" I replied with a raised voice.
"Mother, may I please live a normal life?" I asked calmly after a few minutes of silence.
"No, I want Marilla, Luigi and Seraphina to have a childhood like yours," replied Mother calmly.
"But Seraphina is nearly a teenager," I told Mother.
"I know but what about Luigi and Marilla?" Mother asked.
"Well how about I ask Luigi and Marilla if they're happy with their life?" I asked.
"No. End of discussion," Mother said sharply.
Over the following days when Mother came towards me, I turned and walked away. I had been trying to spend more time at my friends’ homes than at my home and was hardly talking to Mother.
"Astrid, may I please talk to you after dinner?" Mother asked.
"Fine," I answered sharply.
I followed Mother onto the front verandah and sat down next to Mother on the brown, unpainted wooden bench Father made.
"What is this about Astrid?" Mother asked. I glared at Mother.
"I get it now. It’s about wanting to live a normal life," Mother said. I nodded, sitting silently for a few seconds before speaking.
"Mother would I please be able to live a normal life?" I asked.
"I want Marilla, Seraphina and Luigi to have an old fashioned childhood like yours," Mother said.
"How about when my brother and sisters aren't around, I can wear normal clothes. When they're around, I can quickly change to old fashioned clothes?" I asked, sure that the answer would be no.
"I think that's a good idea Astrid. When your younger brother and sisters want the same thing they can do the same. When Marilla decides she wants to live a normal life, it can stop completely. If your siblings catch you wearing normal clothes, you will have to wear old fashioned clothes all the time."
"Thank you so much Mother, they won't catch me. I promise!" I happily replied hugging Mother.
I was so excited, I ran into one of the paddocks and started doing Grand Jetés.
‘I wish I could completely have a normal life, but I guess this is an improvement! Having an old fashioned childhood was nice,’ I thought.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!