The Cockatoo-doo Doo

The Cockatoo-doo doo

Bang! The window rattled like a gong that pulled me out of my skin. Apprehensive, I peeked out, clutching my pillow to my chest, breathing furiously. An enormous imprint of a… cockatoo? What is going on! Anyway a colossal imprint of a cockatoo was on the window, very detailed indeed. Directly underneath was a cockatoo, smaller than the imprint, cawing softly.

It had a razor sharp mohawk in an ecstatic yellow colour. An acute tiny beak sprouted out of its face and two honey coloured beady eyes shone with warmth. Glossy feathers as white as snowflakes glimmered in the bright sunlight and two needle like claws sprouted down below. It cawed softly. It was my cue to help.

At first it was a bit humiliating to walk outside in a dressing gown. My feet quivered through my thin slippers as I trudged along. I attentively picked up the unfortunate thing and cradled it in my arms. Warmth oozed all over the cockatoo. It was a girl, I just knew it. Swiftly I named her Judy and put her into the Comfort Basket. Wonderous knitted blankets and flannelette pillows were ubiquitously stuffed in. Judy lay in the middle and snored loudly.

OK, interviewing a bird in my house might sound crazy. I could understand everything in my heart. Judy told me that she used to have crazy owners so she left soon before she crashed. She was sick and couldn’t see well and BANG CRASH! It just happened.

Stroking Judy, I fell asleep. In the morning I lay in my bed, wide awake. Mum is going to take Judy to Heaven Hills Bird School soon and I will sorely miss her but I know she’s OK. I will extricate Judy when she can fly again so she can see wildlife as bright as a rainbow. I know I’m selfish, wanting her as my own, but I will let her free into nature.

Month by month the date comes near. Judy learned tap-dancing, English and grew as fast as lightning. All I did was recite numbers and quotes, growing as slow as a slug.

Our last day together was mind blowing. Judy’s wing had healed already! Mum took Judy home and I skipped school that day. We went to the bird museum named Twitterwoo Museum and played at the Happy Hills Family park. There we each made a friend. At home we dreamed big dreams and in the morning Judy refused to go out.

Finally, Judy bounces with me. She perches on my palm and I hold my breath. She flaps her wings once, twice, and she’s off! Like a cloud in the sky, Judy glides about, feathers flapping. I wave goodbye and stroll back to my house. Now I feel like I’ve done something good! I was helping in a good way. I hear a noise. It’s… Judy! Oh well, she’s now a family pet!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!