Nephilim

The ashes fell like snow and as soft and silent as memory. Behind her, the fires continued to feast on the small village that was once their home. Smoke clogged Ismira's lungs and her legs ached but she didn't dare stop. The horn blew again just as they reached the forest, creating a terrible sound that sent a chill through her bones. Arrooooooo. Another one she thought, we're the only ones left. Her lips began to tremble and fear surged through her body, but that only made her run deeper into the woods. Ismira and her twin were rare. They were the children of angels and the daughters of man. There had been eleven other 'Nephilims', 'half breeds' or 'abominations' in Eliyah, but now they're all dead. Their mother always told them they were special, since being the children of angels gave them certain 'gifts', but they always knew that their 'gifts' were a curse and the reason why they always had to keep running. Tears began to well in her eyes, blurring her vision as she remembered their mother being shot down as she yelled for her and her twin run. "We have to hurry" Will shouted at her, grabbing her hand and rushing her forward. She could hear the distant echoes of dogs barking, they were close. She looked to her brother, the golden strands of hair soaking up the moons glow, and the tears streaming from his tanned freckled skin identical to hers. The barks were getting louder and louder like her heart hammering inside her chest. Running was turning out to be difficult as Ismira's body seemed to become heavier and her mouth drier with every stride. A cold breeze brushed her hair and washed over her face, whispering secrets in her ears. This was one of her 'gifts'. They couldn't outrun them, if they were to live, they'd have to fight. Will and Ismira turned their backs, their chests rising and falling in sync. The horses was near and atop them, the hunters.

Ismira closed her eyes then looked at the starry night, she was just as scared as he was. He knew what she was thinking, what she was praying for. She was praying for their father but he knew he would never come. None of them ever saved their children. Their hands found each other and their fingers intertwined. The gold in the twins' eyes and hair glowed, illuminating the forest as their angelic blood boiled and they charged as one toward their demons...
They fell from the sky like shooting stars. Dozens of them falling from the heavens, wings engulfed in flame. They've come to avenge their children, Will thought. But it was too late. Time itself slowed down as Will looked into his twins' eyes, darkened with fear and sadness. He watched as the spear pierced her back and went through her chest. The feeling was similar to what Will imagined the loss of a limb to be like.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!