The Dark Abyss

I wake up in a hot sweat, shaking with alarming fear! I can feel my blood pulsing throughout my veins. My limbs ache with goosebumps as I slowly rise from the dampened mattress. I'm surrounded by blackened walls and old lights that can barely produce an artificial flicker. Tentatively, I run my knuckles over old steel frames covering the wall behind my bed-frame. I can see photos behind the tainted glass of people who are familiar from the past. I can't help but feel somewhat affected by my inability to fully recognise them. Instead of seeing them as my family, I can only view them as a distant memory. Liquid pools in my eyes but I prevent my cheeks from becoming wet and stained.

"Are you okay Sky? You don't need to hide from me. I know this must be tearing you apart." I look up to see my sister staring at me with a cautious smile. I'm surprised that she was able to enter my room when it was clearly locked. I don't bother to question it.

"Of course I am Ruby, don't worry about me. I'm perfectly fine. A few photos can't break me!" I mask my falseness with an exaggeration of laughter. Luckily, she shrugs it off and returns to the kitchen to finish her breakfast. Although, it's more like burnt toast and over-frothed coffee. I reach over to my nightstand and grab my phone to check for any notifications. As I reach for the addictive device, I notice a black journal sticking out from the draw I left open the previous night. Curiously I reach for it and open its confinements.

What I see shocks me. Inside is a family tree with my name in the centre of it. I don't recognise any of the names, but I gather they are relatives I've either never met before or that were wiped out when I lost my memory. Before I can analyse the images, Sky returns from the kitchen and grabs me by the arm. She pulls me towards the doorway and to the main sitting area. I struggle to keep up with her meticulous footsteps. My feet fail to remain balanced.

A man in a white coat stands in the dining room with a serious expression etched on his masculine features. He's holding a syringe and I instantly know that I'm in trouble. He walks towards me with remorse and I immediately turn towards Sky for help. Instead of seeing her kind, blue eyes, all I see are emotionless brown orbs in uniform gripping me solemnly. I hear the man mention words of psychosis and asylum, but it only leaves me even more confused. They both grip me in a vice-like manner and start to haul me towards an alarming door, but all I want is to go back to my sister and look at the photographs. I start to scream but a small prick in my left shoulder turns the world black.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!