The Convivial Canine

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

STRIKE! As lightning hit and thunder roared. Just yesterday I was running past the flower beds brushing off the morning dew from the delicate petals with my mum, playing in the forest and skimming stones alongside my dad. But now with the cyclone raging around outside, mum held me close as all three of us hid together in the underground bunker, terrified. I could feel her trembling hand, it made me feel uneasy. I spotted something across the room. It was the locket that mum had given me, with her and dad's photograph in it. It must have fallen from my neck, but I couldn't bare to part with it. I ran to retrieve it, a tree fell straight through the house separating me from my parents. It was the loudest and most traumatizing sound. I couldn't hear them anymore. Sadness filled my heart.
A few days later I was sent to the most diligent orphanage in Europe. It was said in my parents will that if anything should happen to them I would be sent there. The moment caregiver Aidith escorted me through the doors and showed me my room, I didn't feel like I belonged. She informed me with a vile tone "lunch will be served in 5 minutes, it will be spinach, tuna, and chicken croquettes" I ran to my room in disgust.
I looked out the window wanting to escape. As I wiped the tears from my inflamed eyes. I spotted a beautiful creature with silky black fur, kind eyes and almost a human-like smile. It was a young wolf. Suddenly she made my stomach stop aching with depression and I felt joy. I suddenly had the urge to run down to see her. I started to wonder how on Earth she could be here and not have been caught yet. She exposed her hiding place to me. But why?
One day I got the courage to walk down and find her. There she was, hiding in the bush, alone. She seemed so desolate and ravenous. Her presence made me feel so peaceful. The next day I attended lunch, only to give it to lmara. That's what I had named her, meaning strong and resolute. When I gave her the meat she seemed very pleased and came to like me even more. Every day, for years, I gave my food to lmara and she would find me fruits and berries from the forest to maintain my diet. We became very close and I would not go a day without seeing her.
One day when I walked down to see lmara, she wasn't there, I spent hours trying to find her. I collapsed on the ground in despondency. My best friend was gone. But then I watched as five beautiful black cubs walked up to me. The cubs looked exactly like lmara. lmara was a Mother! After that I vowed to look after the cubs on her behalf, that's what she would have wanted.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!