A Mongolian Invasion

Katie heard a commotion outside and jumped, what was her beautiful stallion doing? As she moved towards the door, her father burst into the room. “Katie!” he said, “we have received word that the Mongolians are coming. You must take the children and run.” “What about Eric”, Katie asked. “He is 22, my dear.” said her father, “he will stay with us and fight”.

At 18, Katie was the oldest of the village children and had practised hiding with the children many a time. So, hidden in the bush just a mile from the village, she quieted the children and tried desperately to hide the sound of battle. The little ones smiled happily thinking this was just another game of hiding in the bush they practised regularly. But the older ones wore worried looks knowing full well this was not a game.

Please be okay she cried, I can’t lose my dad and brother too. Yet, she acted brave, she could not show fear to the children or they would know the truth. She knew they could not conquer, they were too small and their enemy so great. Quietly she turned to Ella, at seventeen her best friend was beautiful with long shining black hair and big brown eyes. Unlike Katie’s unruly, untamed brown hair and small dark eyes. Katie looked at Ella and said, “Watch the little ones.” “Where are you going?” asked Ella. “I need to help. I need to do something.” Katie replied. She jumped onto her horse and galloped through the bush ducking low to avoid branches. Her hair getting tangled with weeds, but she kept going.

Bow drawn, she reached the clearing, peeking through the brush. She could not see her father or brother. Yet Katie realised there was nothing she could do, but get herself killed. How could she leave the children? Reluctantly, she turned back, as she did she heard faint crying, searching her head for the child could be, she remembered. How could they have forgotten Liam the 6-month-old child? If he was hurt it would kill her, she rushed around the clearing, into the village, jumped off her horse and ran into Hannah’s house. Heart pumping, she picked up poor Liam, luckily he was fine. She strapped him to her back. In her hurry she remembered Hannah, where is she? Yet she had to time. Precautiously, she got on her horse and galloped away.

After 3 days of searching, they finally found a cave hidden into a hill with a secret entry. There they made themselves comfortable and Katie and Emanuel, one of the children, hunted for food. One day Katie came rushing in, “Quiet everyone!” she said, “I heard people coming when I was out” Everyone with hearts beating watched the door. Katie pushed to the leaf covered entry with her bow drawn. As the horses trotted into the clearing, Katie let out a breath of air. On the lead horse was her father, followed by her brother and many of the women. Katie rushed out, along with everyone inside and fell into her father’s arms in tears. Her father erected a village around the cave and for now, they were safe and together again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!