Queen Of The Jungle

I am creeping closer, my body hidden in the tall grass. My paws, quiet as a mouse on the hot savannah. I close in on my target, a young doe grazing nearby. I am a lioness, hunting.

When I am close enough, I lunge. The deer drops to the ground, dead as stone. I take a mighty bite into the flesh. It tastes like heaven. But I must save some for my cubs back home. I drag the hefty load down to waterhole and drink the pure liquid. I can’t stop for long; my family is in our small cave, waiting for my return.

As I finally reach the cave, my cubs run out to meet me. Slowly emerging afterward is the male lion, checking to see if everything is alright, and to take his share of the meat. After he stuffs himself and moves away, my cubs dig in. When they have had enough, it is my turn. All that is left are some scraps of meat stuck to the bones. I pick them clean.

The male lion roars, it is time to sleep. My cubs run to their little corner of the cave. I follow, and sigh in relief. The day is over, no more to be done. I collapse and close my eyes. Peace, at last. Or so I thought. Just as I am drifting off to sleep, a mighty roar awakens me and the other lionesses. Our male is already outside, defiantly staring at another pride of lions wanting to fight. I quickly go outside and count their pride, seven lionesses and one lion. In our pride there are six lionesses and our male. I give my cubs a small scrap of meat to keep them busy. Then I race outside to help defend our territory.

I could lose my life; I worry as we take our positions on the temporary battlefield beside the waterhole. I target one of the lionesses. She will be the one I fight with first. The males will battle in a duel and it’s up to us to defeat the lionesses. Our lion roars to start the battle. I concentrate on my target. She notices me and makes me her target. Suddenly, she takes a leap. At the last minute I dodge her attack. I am about to leap at her when another lioness jumps on me. I had forgotten there was an extra lioness in the other pride. The first lioness leaps at me again, but this time I am not fast enough. They overtake me and pin me to the ground. When I believe that all is lost, our lion jumps out and knocks the lionesses off me. I spin around. Our lion has defeated the other lion! My attackers realise their defeat and run off into the darkness.

We have won the battle. I slump back to the cave, collapse again and doze off. But this time, I make it through the night.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!