The Burning

Finalist in the 'Xtreme Read 2009' competition

Tendrils of flame licked the window pane. The warmth from the embers showed none of the affection found within the tamed fires of the fireplace. They were wild, cackling spitefully, reflecting my own panicked face in their golden eyes. It was as if they were alive. Terror clutched my heart and grasped it tight as I glanced in all directions desperately. I was trapped. The flames were spilling from the windows, devouring the ceiling in one swallow. They inhaled and drew themselves up to a greater height, staring down upon me. There was no remorse in their glare.

My heart pounded like a drum as I skidded towards the door. The flames were beginning to penetrate it. Gathering strength from within me, I kicked down the door, masking my face from the smog. Flames clutched at my feet as I tore through the house, attempting to dodge their clawed grasp. Before I could move, the floorboards splintered beneath me, weakened by the flames’ pitiless abuse. My foot found the hole, dragging me towards the ground. I tried to scream, but as I took a breath, smoke gushed in through my open mouth. Gagging, with lungfuls of smoke spilling from my lips, I struggled bleakly to grasp the walls for support. Bringing with me chunks of fragmented wood, I ripped my foot from the hole and dove down the stairs with speed that left the wind to shame. I spun on the spot, glancing for an exit. Embers advanced slowly towards me from all directions. Perspiration clung to my forehead as the heat started to creep up through my body. I cried out as the flames seized my hand in their fiery grip. The door to my right was shut, smoke trickling from the keyhole. My eyes widened in horror as my thoughts wandered to the infant inside.

With more courage than I felt, I ducked my head and covered my mouth, coughing up filth. My throat was parched and burning. I pushed past the door which was crumbling on its hinges. My vision was obscured by dirt that the flames spat upon me so I groped through the room like a blind beggar. I dipped my hands into a cradle and felt my hands pass over another body. With a moan of relief, I grasped her tight and lifted her to my chest. Her piercing screams chilled me to the bone. Squeezing my eyes tightly against the smoke, dusty tears trickling out the corners of my eyes, I kissed my child on the forehead, before turning once more to my pursuit of an escape route. Flames barred all exits. I bit my lip and clung to the child like a lifeline, shielding her mouth from the smog. There was only one thing to do.
“I love you,” I whispered hoarsely to the child. My voice trembled with emotion and fear. “I love you.” I ran through the flames.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!