War Dance

War Dance

The subtle sound of the wind whispered in my ear, the golden autumn leaves suffocated the dewy grass. I stared up to the polluted sky, thinking what happened, to the potential sky blue. The obscure smell of the gun shots still remained in my nose. The grey, combined with the moons early crescent made my eyes dense with confusion. I sat there shivering my head, arguing what had happened. A hand reached over me; I shuddered, not daring to look back
I asked, “Is it over yet? Are all of those foolish people gone?”
“I’m afraid not… Kanya”, replied the person behind me. “But still believe.”
Silent tears slipped down my frail cheeks, the tears felt like they were trapped spirits ready to race for freedom out of my eyes. I turned back to see who it was, accept no one was there. The voice sounded soft but high enough to be a female. It reminded me of someone familiar…..Mum…Could it be?
But she’s dead.
Wondering, what other consequences will come upon my life, I now realised that I am an orphan. Thinking about the negative points of life, it made me shudder with fear. Why would someone even adopt me? Even thought I have a brain made for Einstein I am ridiculously unattractive and unappealing.
Dusk ended and the horizon sun appeared.
The morning breeze tangled my hair. I sat down underneath the willow tree like every Sunday morning. Slowly I rose from my position; thinking back I remembered my mother dancing underneath the willow tree. The thought of her dancing, made my toes flex .I lifted my head trying to copy her delicate moves. Before I knew it, I danced as gracefully like the wind, with the loose orchid leaves floating over me. My legs started to prance,
“Is this …Is ...Is this ballet?” I stuttered to myself.
“Why yes it is young lady.”
“Parker, her dance style is uniquely hers, and different from all the other uniform ballerinas found in France.”
The voice of the lady sound so elegant, I was afraid of her seeing my face. Disappointing her with my looks was the last thing on my list.
She then whispered to my ear.
“Do you have a mother?”
The tone of her voice was like a bird singing; slicing the air with an idealistic knife.
I quietly answered, “No sir, I mean Madame.”
Standing next to her made me feel awkward, with my old torn clothing.
“Would you like to come with me …?”
My heart thumped unsteadily, I barely knew her but the spark in her eyes, lead me to her carriage. I sat on the red velvet seats; I couldn’t stop looking at her beauty mark next to her rich rose lips. Her lashes were long and fine. Her platinum blonde hair was carefully lifted by two engraved clips. Without any notice, the cartridge stopped.
“You poor child let me clean you up.”
After all the grooming, she discovers Kanya is quite a beautiful girl and because of her limited diet on the street her figure was petite and thin.
Lady Penelope eyes’ gleamed with immense satisfaction of the beauty and intelligence she discovered.
“Come my dear, its time I see your Ballet Skills.”
I started with a twirl; I didn’t know what to do afterwards. I felt mum’s spirit guiding me the way. I opened my eyes while finishing with a Demi pliés, it wasn’t just Lady Penelope’s clap which caught my eye’s it was the worlds.
“Thank-you mum, for believing in me.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!