A Boundless Identity

A Boundless Identity
By Jennifer Dora



Night. It is the time my spirit comes alive, my everlasting companion comes out and my personal piece of magic arises, the moon. It is my guiding light and guardian. I sit alone at the edge of a lake and look at my mirrored reflection. A girl of 17 years stares back at me, timeless with flowing red hair and brilliant brown eyes. I stare into my eyes and begin a most magical transformation. Slowly my hair turns a sandy golden colour and shortens in length, my bones snap and change form and my face morphs into a muzzle, ears expanding, but eyes never changing, and I’m complete.

I threw my head back and a howl escaped from my throat. I let out a deep breath and glanced back into the lake and a giant wolf looked back. Immediately all my senses sharpened and I listened to natures orchestra. Joining them in t he enchanting melody is the crisp breeze blowing from the East, gently ruffling the leaves of the trees, carrying the scent of Jasmine, bark, fallen leaves and … corndogs? Ahhhh yes, the carnival returns.

I turn my attention towards the East and rise on my hind legs, feeling the power of my muscles, to see a dim glow just outside the forests edge along with fireworks lighting up the skies like rainbow stars. I leapt from my spot by the lake and travelled through the forest towards the carnival. As I got closer to the grounds, memories filled my vision; flashbacks, - Happy faces and laughter filled the atmosphere. But then all to suddenly…’BANG’…soldiers firing guns, babies started crying, screaming crowds scrambling out of the carnival gates. Mama lifts me into her embrace, repeating that she would never let me go, but at a glance to the right a soldier burst out and shot Mama. We both fell to the ground hard, corndog smearing into the Earth. I had a gash up my leg but when I turned to help Mama up she uttered the word “….run”, then fell to the ground a second time, never to move again. My world stopped and in that one second an eternity seemed to pass, I couldn’t breathe. I looked up and saw that another soldier was headed my way, I jumped up almost at lightning speed and bolted into the forest.

Stumbling through daunting trees and creepy sounds I had managed to find my way through what seemed like a maze to a lake. Feeling scared and alone and exceeding all my physical limits, I heard a twig snap! I whirled around expecting to see that a soldier had seen and followed me, but instead stood the most mystical, magical, magnificent, hypnotising and very large animal I would ever see. A Silver Wolf. I remember being relieved more than scared and I think that is was that, that had saved me that night.

The silver wolf had sprung down from its territory in one majestic movement, like a silver flash through the air, and landed square in front of me, and I was mesmerised. I will never forget how the silver wolf’s eyes seemed to burn onto my soul like a wildfire; it started to breathe out a kind of mist that sparkled like silver glitter. I tried to back away but it so suddenly growled that I gasped and took in most of the silver mist; I sucked in my breath because I was so startled that I inhaled the rest of the substance. As soon as it was gone the wolf backed off a little and gave a blood-churning howl that vibrated through my entire body, it was like the most perfect piece of music to my ears.

Before I could do anything, I also found myself howling, embarrassed at that notion I began to laugh but realised that I had transformed into a wolf myself. I was so shocked to see my reflection in the lake that my wound had healed without a scar that I fell back, failing to know how to master control of my new body - . How much I changed since then physically. I can run as fast as the wind, I have supernatural strength; I heal myself in a heartbeat and have such sharp senses that I can detect anything in a 300 mile radius. Mentally I have matured more than my years. In my opinion I am free, free to run with the wind, bask in the richness of the Earth’s glory and gaze at the stars and moon each and every night.

I look at all the humans living their life with no worries, the Ferris wheel and Carousel’s overflowing with children, families, friends and lovers. As I turn my head I see a little girl no more than five lock and hold a gaze with mine. How she reminds me of myself at that age. She smiled and I thought to myself ‘Yes, this is what I am, I have the company of Mother Nature herself and free to live my life to the fullest, the moon my only confidant. I am what I am, this is my identity and I wouldn’t have it any other way’. I stared back at the girl and decided to give the young one some joy on this night. I stood up on all fours and walked to the fence where she stood and gave her the most proudest and majestic howl I could muster, she giggled of all things and reached out her hand, a brave little one I thought and pushed my muzzle to her and licked her hand and with one graceful movement I leapt back into the forest to run, run for my Mama and to run free with my spirit.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!