Take Me To The Wonderland

I am sitting by the riverbank on a hot summer day, making a daisy chain and watching how the sunlight plays on the water. But the river flows by to the South and the breeze blows by to the North. Time would pass without moving. The life goes on.
“Life – what is it but a dream?” asked Lewis Carroll.
“It’s nothing,” I would answer, “but a chess game against my self.”

Life could be chaotic like Mad Hatter’s tea party or as mad as the March Hare. I’d have to watch out not to drown in my own pool of tears. Everything could fall down on you, just like the playing cards. However I shall not lose my head because of the Queen of Hearts. It would mean the same as I shopped off my own head: I lose. But if I have the courage against such weakness of mine, I would’ve checked my King: I win. Then I will shout. “Check!”

I don’t see any White Rabbits today who can take me to the wonderland. If life is not a dream, what is a dream? For me, dream is hope, joy and future. You may say that dreams are vain fantasies therefore it’s useless, but I disagree. True, I cannot deny that it is fantasy, but it is useful, for we can work towards it, meaning there are ways to reach the wonderland.

Correction: there is only one way to the wonderland. Firstly, you shouldn’t let Tweedle-dum and Tweedle-dee block your path. Next is to have fun listening to the caterpillar’s advice; the Cheshire cat won’t tell you where to go but only grin. And lastly, grow taller than yourself, with or without “EAT ME” biscuits. Defeat yourself for your victory – now start moving your pawn.

I am sitting by the riverbank on a hot summer day, making a daisy chain and watching how the sunlight plays on the water. But the river flows by to the South and the breeze blows by to the North. Time would pass without moving. The dream goes on.
“Dream – what is it but a life?” asked Lewis Carroll.
“It’s nothing,” I would answer, “but a chess game against my self.”

Yours truly,
Alice Riddle

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!