Neil

Veronica slowed down to a walk as she approached the bench in the forest. She knew she was nearing the end of the path and would have to turn back soon. As she turned her IPod off and sat down, she contemplated what she would be faced with when arriving back home. The morning sun shone down between the leaves on the big oak trees and reminded Veronica of when she was younger. Veronica and her brother Neil used to try to catch the ray’s in-between their fingers before they disappeared. It was so easy back than, when you were unaware of grief and the complexity of life. Her eyes started to water as her brain shuffled through the events of the past three days. She thought about the phone call from her mother informing her of her brother’s death. Tears were now free falling down her face and creating little circles in the dirt. She remembered feeling her world collapse as her children came in asking ‘who was it?’ and bugging her with annoying questions. What could she do? Her shoulders slouched forward as feelings came flooding back; disbelief, anger and most of all loss. It was then that she realised her hands were shaking uncontrollably; she tried to calm herself down and think logically. Her mother had told her how Neil had died and Veronica was in shock. The explanation about how Neil died was unbelievable but unfortunately true. Neil had gone through a green light when a drunk driver drove through a red light and hit his car. Neil’s car went rolling into a ditch and he died instantly. This was a cruel, cruel death and no matter how much she thought about it she couldn’t see why it had to be Neil’s fate. At 32 he had a long life ahead of him; he had children, a loving wife and family. As Veronica stood up she saw a rose just opening, for the first time in what felt like so long her heart felt peace.
There was a light at the end of the tunnel, it seemed a long way off but there was hope.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!