Sakura Dreams

The girl wandered through the cherry blossom orchard, letting the tiny pink flowers’ delicate scent fill her whole being with serenity. Her headache eased, and her worries faded into nothing with the sound of the grass rustling beneath her feet. As she meandered deeper into the midst of the orchard, the trickling of a nearby brook snatched her attention away from the trees. Giggling, the girl danced gracefully over to the water’s edge, flowers fluttering as she did so. Her pale green dress billowed around her as she flopped down beside the water. The water rippled as she trailed her fingers lazily across the surface. A sigh escaped her sweet pink lips as a cold breeze blew into the small meadow in which the orchard was situated. The girl scolded herself inwardly for not bringing with her warmer apparel. Her whole body trembled with chill, and she felt herself drifting off into darkness.

“Evelyn! Lady Evelyn!” The girl jerked in surprise at the sound of her nursemaid’s piercing shrill.
“Miss Pratchet? Oh, ah, yes. I’m here! Look just by the brook!” She shivered, discovering how startlingly damp she was.
“Lady Evelyn,” Miss Pratchet gasped as she crested the hill, “Lady Evelyn what have you been doing out here all this time?! Your father had this orchard developed in order to compliment your pretty blue eyes – not so that you could avoid your musical studies.” Miss Pratchet gave her a reproachful glance as she neared her young charge’s surreptitious resting place.
The girl sighed. “Yes, Miss Pratchet.”
“Oh my word! You’re all wet, Evelyn, hurry on back to the house, you silly thing.”
With her sense of calm shattered, the girl stalked back up the hill to commence her piano practice.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!