RAINBOWS

Finalist in the 'Xtreme Read 2009' competition

Light poured through the window, almost like water thought Sadie. It tumbled down like a waterfall but with no sound. Then the sky clouded over and it was gone.
She hardly heard the noise of the classroom; she wished that light would shine on her again. She waited for the loud ringing of the bell, but then there would be nowhere to go. Lulu and Alice would be there, pushing her into a lone corner, isolating her from the rest of the world. Their taunts burned into her heart like ice.

Grey clouds blocked out the sun. Sadie walked through the cold mud. She felt like she would never be free. She sat on her own, the cold going through her thin clothes. Tears fell down her cheeks like cold stones.

Sadie gazed into the mist as if it were a door. Then she slipped through.

*************

Sadie wasn’t afraid, it was so peaceful in the mist. She floated through the nothingness, then a shadow loomed over her. Darkness pressed against her, trying to reach her heart. She went on, pushing through the darkness, ominous shapes emerged before her. Her legs felt heavy as stone as the shadows snatched at her. A tide of darkness came down over her, now there was nothing but blackness.
The blackness became deep water and suddenly Sadie was swimming for her life. Like a giant mouth, the sea was waiting to swallow her. The shore was barely a dot. She faced the truth – she would have to swim back. She swam and swam, the water was like ice. She was tired, so very tired. If only she could give in to this endless sea.

************
Something caught Sadie’s eye, up ahead. A tiny fleck of bright blue floated in the midnight dark; it spread and became a vast blue sky, and there in the middle, a rainbow. Sadie felt a weight lifting off her.

************
Sadie stood before Lulu and Alice. “Your world is very small” she said, and smiled. Lulu and Alice were speechless. They looked at her – astounded.
Rainbows seemed to be arching above Sadie, throwing diamonds of light across the sky. She thought about the one thing that had changed her life – a rainbow.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!