I Miss Him

At the hospital, deathly silence occurs as the people surrounding come to terms. My brother, the boy who I have idolised and looked up to my entire life, is worse than ill, dying. Although being a tough athlete who trained in motto of ‘Whatever Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger’ even he couldn’t stop cancer itself.
Air around me is full of sadness, the smell of tears fresh in it.
I feel lonely, although being surrounded by many loved ones, I feel alone, I guess I have just started to, because it’s how I’ll feel for a long time. I always hated being the only child in the house. Whenever he was gone I hated it because I got so bored, nobody to make me laugh like he did.
After time sitting in the room, emotion overcomes me. I leave. I sit outside on a wooden bench, I turn to see an old man and I wonder who is looking after him, who will be there when he’s upset, when he needs someone to laugh with and when he needs a shoulder to cry on.
I’m gently tapped on the shoulder, I turn to see the best mate, he knows my emotions are high, probably his as well, so he doesn’t stay long. He reaches into his pocket and reveals a sealed envelope with my name on it. He hands it to me and leaves
I feel as though it is important...
My brother
I know I have left early in your life, I know that you will be lonely for a long time without me.
But always remember my darling brother I will be watching over you. I’ll be there for everything for you.
I know that I am not much of a bible boy; although recently I read a passage:
Ezekiel 25:17
Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the Valley of Darkness; for he is truly his brother’s keeper. And, I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to destroy my brothers.
This made me come to realise that everyone has a keeper, you are mine. You are the reason I turned out the way I did, you were the one telling me when I was wrong, when I made a mistake and most of all you told me when I was doing the best I could possibly do.
My brother, never forget in your mind that you are ‘My Brother’s Keeper’, even though he is not with you today it didn’t mean you didn’t impact his life.
Whenever you remember you are ‘My Brother’s Keeper’, remember that I myself am ‘My Brother’s Keeper’ and will strike down with vengeance and furious anger on whoever tries to destroy my brother.
Never feel alone, always know I’m watching, caring…
I had to stop, emotions run through me like the cancer that took him, I am overrun by tears.
I miss him.....

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!