Deadly Beauty

Finalist in the 'Xtreme Read 2009' competition

The wind began to grow stronger and sparks were flying towards me. My body trembled as I threw myself to the ground, clutching the closest tree trunk. A few seconds past and with them went the entire forest to my right, as a roaring tornado crept toward me like a tiger closing in on its prey. I did not struggle against the whipping wind or driving rain. I did not resist the deafening thunder, nor did I turn from the blinding lightning. My eyes were fixed to one spot. Coming from the centre of the deathly whirlpool was a radiant light, clouding my mind and drawing my attention. My mind slowly froze as had my emotions, upon the first sighting of this immortal light.
I was left there, still, clutching the elderly tree trunk, awaiting the hungry tornado’s wrath. I clung there, my eyes wide and my teeth chattering as the radiant light spun closer inside its deadly armor, ready to whip me up into the air and carry me away. The tornado crept closer, taking its time to reach its helpless prey. I wasn’t scared, just spellbound by the glorious light.
No sudden pang of realisation pounded my heart as it should have, had my soul been present. My soul had been devoured by the sheer beauty of the deathly light long ago. I was immune to the fact that, this was it. The end had come and nothing could stop it. I never felt a thing as the roaring tornado consumed me. My life had ended with a glimpse of deadly beauty.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!