Neon Tiger

The truck’s engine came to a sudden halt. Two tough, lofty men stepped out into the pelting rain and walked towards the rear of the lorry. One opened the two bolted doors. Inside, a rusty iron cage with a padlock was fastened tightly around two of the bars, keeping within it, a powerful feline of blazing red and pitch-black streaks. A loud roar was heard as the two brutes carried the cage out into the storm.
“Be a good kitty now.” Murmured one of the men in a low husky voice, whilst directing his partner to the back entrance of the tent with a nod of his head.

The two of them placed the cage firmly on the ground as the ringleader came to view his prize. “Yes, yes very good boys. You have done well indeed.” He stated, giving one of the two men a pat on the back. “Bring him in.” The two men struggled to carry the cage into the tent, as the tiger began to pace around what minimal space he had.

Inside the tent were numerous other animals and performers waiting to admire the big cat. One girl, unravelling her contorted limbs stood up from the floor, and became fixed onto the tiger’s eyes. “He’s beautiful.” She managed to say, in a daze. In the corner, three strong men were practicing their routine, one on top of the other, in a pyramid formation. Opposite, a clown sat at a dresser, covered in lights, staring at a photograph in his hand. The brightness of light and colour in the room startled the mammal, and let out a cry for help.

“Hush now! Do not interrupt my workers!” Replied the ringleader, with a smug look on his face. “You will require some work now, won’t you? Boys, take him to a larger cage out the front.”
“Yes sir.” Replied the henchmen, and simultaneously, they lifted the cage outside as they had been instructed.

The rain began to flow downwards again as the men shifted the cage outside, and, clumsily, the first henchman started to sway the cage side to side. “Oi! Stop that!” Shouted the second, becoming aware of what his partner was doing. “He’ll get out if you keep that up!”

And as he said it, the lock began to rattle, and slid off the metal bars with help from the moisture, letting the cage door swing open. “Oh shit!” Cursed the men, dropping the cage in terror. The beast leaped out, with an almighty roar, took one look at the two, bared its fierce teeth, and dashed away from them.

With forceful strength, the tiger endured, through rain, hail and shine. Its neon shade of fur glistened in the light, as he ran across an abandoned lot. With a hint of hope in his eyes, he stopped on top of a mound of dirt, and released an intense and passionate roar. He leaped to the ground. He was finally free.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!