Parallax

We rode bicycles over a mountainside made of cheap street crack and wine.
‘Michelangelo,’ she said, ‘these walls ain’t even half as tall as what we thought they
were. Look, you can see all of the sky tonight. Oh, you can see all of the sky!’
She asked for a statue, and I carved her out a marble portrait of the moon.
‘Baby,’ she spoke, ‘why the moon?’
‘Without the sun to light it up, it’s just another rock.’
‘Let’s go,’ she sung.
We found shovels in our empty garden bed, and dug until we hit water.
‘We’re stuck,’ I cried, ‘we’re really goddamn stuck.’
‘Close your eyes - we’re in a ship, okay? And we’re sailing through a stream of
cement and bricks, and we’re not stuck, okay? Just close your eyes and paddle, like this.’
I cupped a hand against the sunlight. Her eyes were mirrors in a morning so bright.
There were birds dancing like kites strung up for a day parade,
and there were old trees and soft hills and low rolling meadows.
For a moment the sun swung behind a cloud. ‘The moon never looked so alight.’
As she laughed I placed a frame around her neck and made her a masterpiece.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!