Locford Dragon

Finalist in the 'Xtreme Read 2009' competition

Cassie awoke from her sleep, to find herself clinging to the back of an enormous creature, with golden scales, sliding down to a feathered tail that swayed in the wind as the creature continued to fly off into the night sky.
Cassie’s head rolled back as a gush of invisible wind hit her face. Her long, black hair fluttered in the breeze alongside her pink bed clothes that seemed blue under the full moon’s light.
The creature dived down, moving faster by the minute. Cassie saw that before her was the deep, blue ocean and the cold, rippling water was up coming to meet her at a very fast pace.
‘At this speed, hitting the water would hurt,’ Cassie thought ‘Soon the water will be among us, the creature and I that is...’
As the water drew closer, Cassie caught a glimpse of the creature’s face. Two black nostrils stood out along the creature’s long nose. Under the nose was a long beard and a curled black lip, above the nose were two eagle-like eyes that stared straight down into the cold waters below. Above the eyes and forehead were two short little ears and straw-like locks of hair sitting on the top of the creature’s head.
Cassie stared, startled from what she had seen.
‘Could it be...?’
“...A dragon...” She spoke these words aloud.
And as soon as the creature heard Cassie’s last words he boosted forward, moving faster towards the sea. Cassie shut her eyes, as she and the dragon continued to plummet down towards the ocean.
‘Please, let this be a dream!’ Cassie thought, even though she knew that this was far too real to be a dream.
With eyes closed tight, Cassie took a deep breath, bracing herself and readying herself for the cold water.
Just before breaking the skin of the water, the dragon scooped his head upwards and began flying off in the direction of the pale-white moon above him. His whole body curled and followed him upwards, not one scale touched the water.
Cassie opened her eyes surprised to find that she had not entered the water, but was now travelling in a different direction and that the pace of the dragon’s flying had become smooth and calm as if the dragon had changed its mood. In the cool wind they seemed to be chasing the lighted path made by the moonlight.
“It’s good to see that you are awake.” Said a cool level voice.
“Wh..Where are you taking me?” Cassie asked.
“Nice to meet you too!,” Came the reply.
“Sorry...” Cassie started, but was interrupted by a soft growl made by the dragon.
“Sorry, so you should be....Never the less, I am taking you to your home and the home of many....I am taking you to Locford!”
Cassie was stunned, then out of nowhere, a gush of wind (or had she just simply let go?) knocked her off the dragons back and sent her falling to the......
......carpeted floor of her bedroom.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!