Karantii

As I sprinted through the vegetation, my breath got harder and harder. Dodging the trees was harder than I thought. But I didn't stop, not until I was sure I was safe. I know what you're thinking 'what is she running from?’ Well, this may seem hard to believe but I saw it, the Karantii. Some just say it's a myth, but I saw it. It's kind of like a wolf cross cheetah. It stands about 2 meters tall and looks like a wolf, but moves like a cheetah. My grandma says she saw it once when she was a little girl but she got back inside before it saw her. But not me, I was stupid enough to follow it, and yes it saw me, and now it’s chasing me. I need a place to hide. I find a hollow long and crawl into it. Yuck! It’s damp. Oh well good enough. There’s panting outside, and leaves crunching underneath paws. It’s dark now, and it looks like me or the Karantii won’t be leaving for a while. The drumming of the rain on the log is barely keeping me awake. But a low growl is coming from outside, then all of a sudden yelping and growling. I pop my head out and I see two Karantii circling and snapping at each other. Best to leave while they’re occupied. I run as fast and light and I can. I see a street light through the branches. I push my way through and keep going all the way home. Just as I go to open the door something bites my leg and rips me back, I scream. All the lights in my house turn on and mum and dad come running outside. “Karla! Where were you! Its eight o’clock, home time is 6!” my mum squeals. Dad helps me up and we all go inside. Mum yawns and hurries up stairs to join dad. Just before she closes the door she whispers “Karla, go have a shower and have dinner then go to bed. Goodnight”. I grab a piece of meat out of the fridge and nibble at that while I get ready for bed. I finish the meat and make my way to the bathroom. I turn both of the smooth silver taps clockwise. Water sprays my hair. I soaked in a matter of seconds’ mud and leaves wash off my feet. Then I feel an intense burning on my leg. I glance at it and realize that there are 3 teeth marks. That must have happened when I got attacked outside. I touch it and it feels like the attack is happening over and over. My whole body goes into shock and I collapse. I have goose bumps and as I watch my arm, I can see hairs quickly springing up. I examined my body, hair! All over! What does this mean? Am I becoming a…a…Karantii...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!