I Coat You I Thanks

Its cold, I have to wear a blazer and yes actually walk! That’s right- School excursions, don’t get them often but when you do its great…well great to get out of class that is. We’ve been walking for a while now. Arrgh it’s so cold! I wonder when we’re going to stop I’m getting tired though we’ve probably only been walking for about 10 mins. Ah there it was our stop, everyone was ahead of me already so I walked just a little faster to catch up tripping over a step i'd missed, *sigh* if I’m not tripped over at school it’s on a school excursion. I stopped in front wooden fence, nothing much behind it though I’d seen what looks to be a mother from the old children’s clothes she’d been carrying walk behind it. She looked worried “stay here I’ll be back later” I heard and she then walked back out cuffing her hands to try and keep them warm. I thought nothing of this focusing on getting to the others when then I heard another voice. It sounded like a little girl. As curious and pry as I was I listened in to what was being said. Yeah I know I should be getting back to the others but like I said I was curious. It sounded like she was praying, most sincere prayer I’d heard actually. “Dear God, Thankyou for showing me this place, otherwise we wouldn’t have anywhere to sleep.” My heart kind of stopped. Guess this little girl was homeless, her poor mum. She continued to keep thanking God “and Thankyou for my mum. can I ask one thing though? Can you please help my mum. Please help her to not be worried anymore. I think she just needs something to keep her warm. Maybe a coat! please and thankyou again. Thankyou” Now my heart really stopped. I wanted to help, looking down at my blazer. Maybe I could…nah I couldn’t…but the girl…I took off my blazer putting $5 in one of the pockets. I know what you’re thinking ‘ a whole $5 note? Wow!’ but that’s about as much as I had. All that then came to my mind was “ I’m going to get detention. I’m going to really get detention!” but I threw my blazer over anyway and walked away before they found out it was me who threw it over. I Couldn’t help but smile and caught up with the others. "hey where’s your blazer?" the teacher asked. “umm..oh no!”- I really have to learn how to lie. “I took it off for a second I must have put it down somewhere, now I don’t know where it is!” Amazingly she believed me and said it was ok since I lost it. I then sat down ate my lunch before leaving, well my friends lunches anyway. Back at school now and a week later, a lucky detention-free week later, I got a call from the office. They called me about 50 times because I couldn’t hear them. “good news dear, we’ve found you’re blazer” I had a confused expression on my face. “really? How” “a lady came and returned it “lady?” "yeah she seemed to know you, she had a daughter, dressed prety smart too, long hair wore a big coat” “coat eh?” I smiled to myself I guess that little girl’s prayer did more than she hoped. The mother left that day to find a job and in just a week too, man it takes me that long just to start homework. I took the blazer thanking the receptionist and was about to head home when I found a note on one of the pockets. The same one I’d put the $5 in fact. I read the note with that same warm smile on my face. Should I tell you what it said? Nah I’ll just keep it to myself. Ah alright I’ll tell you, bet you’re just as curious as me. The note was short and sweet. Most sincere note I’ve read actually. It was the best letter I’d gotten and nothing else could’ve been said. Ok hold your horses I’ll tell what it said now… it just said ‘Thankyou’

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!