Angelic Shadows

Finalist in the 'Something With Bite 2010' competition

Silver feathers blanketed the ground in a glimmer of metallic beauty. The sun’s golden rays couldn’t compare to this majestic scene. But, underneath this beautiful cover, darkness crept, its dark shadows undetectable. Slowly stepping on the edges, a dark creature watched as the feathers began to move slightly. A rising figure emerged from the silvery area, its shape in the form of an angel. Wings burst out, almost covering the entire area, forcing the creature to flinch. Turning its head around, a dark gaze forced the angel to glare, its blue eyes narrowed.
“I never expected to see a Dark-Runner here,” it spoke, a sudden growl behind its renowned soothing voice.
Stepping into the silvery light, the creature raised its head in acknowledgement revealing a strangely luminous glow from its sapphire coat. Dark eyes looked upon the angel in rivalry and fear. The soft wind in the clearing made its fur dance lightly on its body. Moving forward, the angel lifted an arm and stopped it in its tracks.
“It’s surprising to see you here, traitor” Silvio barked, his eyes flaring in betrayal.
Taken back, the angel sighed as its wings returned to its side, slightly twitching. The silvery glow disappeared slowly, replaced by the dark earthy shadows of the night. Unbeknownst to the great angel, more creatures slinked from the shadows, surrounding them both. Silvio growled softly, his eyes still upon the angel. Resting its feet on the ground, the angel drew a long sword, its body twice the size of Silvio.
“I apologise for what we have done, but it could not be prevented. Back down Silvio, and may God have mercy on you,” the angel sternly spoke, pointing the sword in Silvio’s direction.
Dropping his stance, Silvio backed away, his lips curled and teeth glimmering. His sapphire coat had dulled since the silver display vanished but he still seemed to glow. Stepping back, the edges of the clearing moved with the shadows, as the other creatures moved forward, he reared his head. Circling the angel, the creatures were dark coated, displaying grey, black and even some blue. Their golden eyes watched the angel, ready to react instantly. Lifting their paws only millimetres off the ground, the angel then spread its wings out, taking out two of the Dark-Runners.
Their cries of shock and agony pealed into the night and the others stormed the seemingly defenceless angel. Their claws tore at flesh and jaws clamped on feathers. The angel struggled, under the ambush of bodies, but it couldn’t see Silvio anymore. Trying to knock off the creatures, he sent a shockwave from his body, scaring them off. Blood dripped from his wings, pooling on the ground.
“Silvio! Come out you cowa-“it roared, when its voice stopped.
Striking through its ribcage, an ice spike protruded, blood sliding from its deadly point. Silvio leapt from behind the angel and stood there, staring. His breathing slowed and he scoffed.
“Let God’s war finally begin!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!