Never Ending

Finalist in the 'Something With Bite 2010' competition

It sprang out of nowhere, sliding fluidly from the dark into a tendril of sunlight. A faint gasp emitted from it involuntary, as though it was caught in the act of doing something heinous. A whirl of air and a sickening thud, but it escaped, darting and twisting in mid-air, pleading with the dark to take it back within its comforting depths. The dark was merciless and cruel, fleeing from enemy and servant alike with relish.

The creature fled after it, stretching itself to its limits, wishing that it had never left its master's side, wishing that it had never joined the dark in the first place. Light bloomed above it, trying to snipe at its mattered fur and mutilated body, trying to rid it of its pathetic reign on Earth.

The creature knew there was no hope, but still it ran, dodging and turning at every corner, skidding into blood-red puddles and screaming with pain and betrayal. If only there was a place to hide, a place where the light couldn't reach, couldn't tear its sharpened claws into its flesh in an attempt to stop it from reaching its refuge with the dark. When it was there, it knew, it would be safe, because the light would never venture there and darkness seeped into every being.

Then suddenly the light was gone, and darkness rushed back to stand by its servant. The creature cried out in relief and disbelief, glad beyond words that the dark had sent its allies to protect it. But there was only so long before the ally could hold the light off. The light was almighty and dangerous, it could defeat nothing and nothing could stop it.

Buffeted by the wind, the creature continued its lonely journey back to its master. The triumphant light swiped lazily at it, mockingly. They both knew that the creature, wasn't going to come back anytime soon.

And yet the chase was never-ending, because light always chased the dark. The cycle of the moon and the sun will never end.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!