Ocean Eyes

Cool water licked the boy’s feet, as he followed the sweet music to his death.
Nothing broke the trance of the pealing bells; nothing caught the boy’s attention as he stared into the wild ocean eyes of the princess. Her love was pulling him to her, her eyes engulfing him.
There was nothing else in this world for him.
He knew her story, he knew her sadness. Her life the lyrics, her sorrow the music as repetitively the music climaxed with the crash of the waves around him. Slowly the water started to rise, covering his mouth as the princess reached out for him, her pale hands pulling him further in the ocean. He followed without complaint; this was the life for him- and with one last pull she dragged him under water, as the tide rose over them and pale moonlight lighted their way.
The music was now thundering in his ears; the sweet sound of bells crashing like waves, the sweet voice of the girl like sirens. The music so haunting but filled with so much depth and meaning- this was the life for him. To be with his love, to leave this world of his- this life was meant to be. But somewhere, warning cries sounded. Filling him with their plea as a hint of doubt clouded his love, his wanting and trust. Fear engulfed him and broke the ocean’s trance- but still he held on.
His lungs felt like they were going to burst, his brain thundering with order but he kept persisting, trying to ignore the pain, the wanting. Yet, every time he looked into those eyes everything turned num and mellow. For in those deep eyes was the truth and compassion but most of all the sorrow as he watched her pull him, her flickering amber tail gleaming in the moon light. She smiled, her eyes willing him to follow her but again he felt the need to disobey.
Something wasn’t right…
Darkness started to tinge the tips of his eyes as his fingers slipped from her grasp. He tried to look at his love, the beauty and strength of her but he couldn’t find her. He was falling through space as the music took him under its wings. He was going. He was no longer in his world, but nor was he in his loves. He was somewhere between life and death in a world of darkness. The music crashed and roared; the darkness beckoning. Then there was peace, calming his frantic search as the music quieted, fading with the tide. He let himself go as he started to fall into the darkness- always falling.
There was nothing in this world for him; no emotion and no life. There was just him; lost forever in darkness, waiting for his love to call him home. The mermaid’s song drifting with the tide.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!