Thread Of A Dream

Finalist in the 'Something With Bite 2010' competition

Thread of a dream.

They filed into the clinical room in hope, and took structured positions with forced smiles planted on their plump faces. They fiddled nervously with themselves, preparing for her critical decision. Most knew the probability of her shattering their dreams once again was formidable. She stood anxiously in front of them, deliberating. “All so young” she whispered to herself as she acknowledged the low line of heads.

She paced up the line of children, subtly grimacing. Breath escaped her as she conceived the fatal consequence for her decision no matter what her choice was. Her mouth, arranged in a humble manner didn’t convey the ripping feeling of her heart inside, she didn’t intend to destroy youthful aspiring minds in the room but unintentionally, she would.

They took in her motherly formality while she slowly processed the throbbing of every infant’s big rounded pleading eyes that displayed the neglect, and rejection of their past. She couldn’t quite grasp the intensity their expressions held. None of them innocent, their history was rich, a vast sea of unwanted memories, swamped by a future of desolation, which could only be altered by her. She held the key. It was her chance to salvage, but only one.

How could she choose? The desperation upon their features was utterly evasive. She couldn’t help but think of what their dreams would be full of, vibrancy, delight, enchantment. Happiness. But to see that the light of day didn’t bring that to them tormented her.

All heads snapped as yelling abruptly commenced in the other room, but it was too muffled to determine words. The door flew open; a young man entered. He slammed the door so loud she shuddered. He joined the row of little boys. His harsh eyes glared at her once in pure disgust then returned to the floor. The contrast between him and the others was that he was aware. He knew the outcome of this situation so he removed himself emotionally and stood, hunched and hiding. He had been through this countless times, each wiping fragments of hope off his dreams until they were diminished.

She adopted him.

Not because he was older. Not because he was wiser. Not because he had been through it so many times before. But because he didn’t have hope. Not a thread of a dream.

But now he does.

Because of her.

By Paige de Vanny.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!