Life Goes On

Finalist in the 'Something With Bite 2010' competition

Glistening in the sun, brand new, freshly grown grass covered the hilltops. This pleasant image could be viewed from the temporary family home of Tristan Sorenson. Rich vegetation was engulfing and covering the land like icing melting on a warm cake. Rain softly fell encouraging the earth below to wake up. To the naked eye slowly opening after a restless night sleep everything appeared to be perfect, but for Tristan a local farmer in the area, the contrasting memory was overwhelming.

New beginnings, fresh terrain, the pleasant smell will never erase the memory of Black Friday. Life goes on but Tristan’s memory also lives on.

Twelve months ago, Tristan Sorenson awoke to a very different image. Flames rapidly dispersed across the land he loved and called home. Like plastic, the heat melted the ground, the smell of burning embers were embedded in Tristan’s senses. The images continue to flash through his head, like a slideshow on a computer. Friends, houses, animals and land disappeared in the dark never to be seen again. Everything was for sale, it didn’t matter if you owned it, or it had been in your family for years. The fire cleared the lot and left behind a dark, black and very bleak atmosphere. The air lacked oxygen and made it difficult to breath. An eerie silence had filled the area. It appeared to be deserted. There were days when Tristan did not want to wake up and take another breath, he wished the fire had sold him and not left him sitting on the shelf. Would life go on, would it get easier?

The air had cleared, many new houses replaced old farm dwellings, the gardens were full of beautiful coloured flowers, the sound of birds singing had returned, new friends were being made and Tristan was busy replacing fences, and restoring his childhood home. He had been living in a shed for the last twelve months. He was looking forward to moving back into his house and farming again. Many people had lost everything, but in all the grief and sadness there were happy endings. Animals returned weeks later to familiar farms, although they were dirty, hungry and very weak, they were alive. Precious photos which had been buried deep under ash and rubble were found and returned to their owners. The community all worked together helping each other through this destressing time.

A year later it was hard to believe this attractive, refreshing country town was ever any different. The town had been restored, life went on but for Tristan and the people who lived through the devastating fires life would never be the same.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!