Last Steps

Last Steps
The footprints were still on the sand, hours had past and yet the footprints had stayed where they were place. Never moving only to be washed away in the short time to come. The water was lapping ever closer. A girl sprinted down to the footprints crouching near them, wanting to protect them savor them because he was now gone.
Her tear streaked face showed all of the emotion she felt inside of her. Loss, sorrow, and remorse because it had all been her fault.

“Mary, Mary come here” his smile lit up the whole room, dark hair glimmering because of all the water droplets, making his lashes look darker and his green eyes brighter
“I’m coming” Mary sauntered over to where he sat on the sand, her long auburn hair catching light from the moon. Her grey eyes sparkled with glee; finally she was with the guy of her dreams on a beach, alone.
“Come swimming the water is wonderful!”
“But Will its nearly midnight!” she teased, knowing he wouldn’t care
“Race you” Will ran on long tan legs to the water, diving in elegantly. Mary watched amazed by how elegant he could be, jealous because of how little grace she had.
“The waters really warm” Will called from the foamy sea
“Okay I’m coming!” Mary dashed down the later diving in her own way, to bob up next to him. He was right the water was delightful, warm and caressing almost alive. She gazed at the silver orb that loomed in the sky giving everything a silver tinge.
Hours dwindled by playing and frolicking in the sea with Will, Mary was having the best fun of her life. He emerged next to her, kissing her cheek a surprising gesture, then he swam back the shore.
“Mary, Mary quite contrary, how does your garden grow?” Will yelled across the empty ocean expanse.
“ With silver bells, and cockle shells and pretty maids all in a row” Mary yelled back to him. She swayed in the ocean not wanting to leave the warm sea; she loved the feel of it on her skin.

Will stood on the ocean, aware that he hadn’t taken his pills for the night, so he was getting tipsy, he needed to go back to the shack or he could pass out or worst.
“Mary come back to the shore” his voice horse, black hair dripping in his eyes. He felt the blackness overwhelm him.

Mary heard Will call and slowly swam back the seashore, savoring the warm water. She jogged to the sand and saw Will lying down. Thinking it was a practical joke she walked to him and knelt beside him. Ready for him to scare her, but she would scare him.


That was the last time Will was ever on the beach, ever anywhere, the last time he was with someone, those were the last footprints Will would ever make.
Because that was the night he died. His life gone forever

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!