Sacrificial Lamb

2nd in the 'Something With Bite 2010' competition

Commander Keiki Subaata drummed her fingers nervously across the arm of her chair as she focused on the powerful naval vessels manoeuvring around her command compound, their silver frames powering along using the standardised holding pattern as they waited for the incursion that would surely come.

The compound had only been online for a few hours, but Keiki knew that their time here was short; it would soon end like it always did for those assigned to the occupied regions – with the immortals arriving – and killing without remorse. Their goal was to make widows and orphans out of State citizens that had, only days ago now, bid farewell to their loved ones as they left to serve their homeland. Or at least that is how it seemed to those who had borne witness to the ferocity in which they hunted the State emplacements.

How could something so inspiring, so right, come to an end so quickly and with so much death?

It was no wonder that the State dared to oppose these monsters, fighting the fight that no-one else would even consider taking on. Keiki felt her heart swell in her chest, she was proud to be a part of all of this, even if it meant the extermination of every loyal citizen stationed in the system.

They all accepted the simple fact, it was their lives for that of the State – giving the executor the time he needed to rid the cluster of the Federals and their bloodthirsty union.

"Contact." Though the crackling communications network she was alerted to the fact that somebody had found their location – inevitable – but it created a sinking feeling in her chest nonetheless, one in which she was careful to hide as she spoke her reply.

"Acknowledged; recall the roaming squadrons and alert any nearby Protectorate forces to our presence."

"Yes Ma'am," this time the voice was natural, a voice coming from a man seated in the compound.

"Squadrons are reporting in – they'll be awhile."

Keiki sighed. "Very Well. Identification on our intruder?"

The man spoke again, "It's the Militia. Frigate class, it's deploying drones."

"Countermeasures?"

"Our vessels are moving into place Ma'am, missiles are locked and loaded."

"You know what to do."

The man nodded, Keiki smiled as she summoned her bravado. She was to become the Sacrificial Lamb, the Martyr that would assure the future of the State.

"Engage."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!