War Of Freedom.

In the summer of 1940 Hitler’s army is creating its own path of destruction towards Paris; millions of civilians are on the run. Amidst all the death and chaos, a boy of only 16 is trying to avoid capture and save his own life by reaching the border.

Mark Adams pulled up the collar of his heavy coat shielding his neck from the cold. Stuffing his hands into his pocket he watched his breath curling upwards in the crisp morning air. His two-day hike had only rewarded him with aching legs and less hope of finding food and shelter. The last few towns Mark had passed through had been reduced to rubble from the recent air raids. Squinting his eyes against the cold, he noticed an intact bell tower poking through some trees. In eagerness Mark picked up his pace, treading heavily towards the town.

Walking cautiously through the streets, Mark peered into some of the homes and shop windows, all of which were mostly empty. Keeping his ears open for any sounds of human company, Mark sat himself down behind some old barrels and opened his leather bag. Pulling out an old crinkled map that indicated his journey, Mark traced his finger along the roads he was to follow and estimated another day’s hike to the border.

Getting onto his knees Mark peered around the side of the cottage and noticed two German soldiers stepping out of a truck. Mark hastily shoved the map into his bag and felt around the bottom of his bag for his army knife. With his knife in hand he did a quick math equation in his head, Mark+Truck=Freedom.

After getting the attention of the two soldiers, he crouched down and waited. One of the German soldiers decided to stay with the truck and keep guard. Hearing the soldier’s footfalls getting closer, Mark jumped to his feet and brought down his arm powerfully aiming his blade at his victim’s neck. The sharp steel plunged deep into the Germans flesh spraying blood into the air and all over his uniform, Mark slid his blade from his victim’s neck, and pried the pistol from his dead hands.

Checking that the pistol was loaded, he noticed the other soldier smoking a cigarette beside the truck. In a state of shock the German turned his widening eyes towards Mark. Before the soldier could reach for his pistol Mark aimed and pulled the trigger. Bullet after bullet slammed into the soldier’s chest and face, his arms flew up and his lit cigarette spun from his mouth as blood spewed from his wounds, his body lifted into the air and fell sickeningly to the ground.

Heart beating fast and adrenaline racing Mark leapt into the driver’s seat of the truck. The Diesel engine roared to life and the steering wheel vibrated in his hands, easing his foot onto the accelerator the truck jumped forwards and made its way out of the town towards the safety and freedom of the border.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!