Secret In The Creek

Finalist in the 'Something With Bite 2010' competition

It had not rained in a very long time. The creek had dried up and where once there had been water merrily splashing over rocks, gurgling and dancing to the sea, now grass and small trees grew.
However, one place remained where a tiny bit of water held a secret, hidden under a large rock.
It was Caiden and his puppy Texie on a picnic with his Mummy and Nana who discovered this secret. Hopping, skipping and jumping around and over the big rock his Mummy suddenly called out to him. "Is that a snake?" An eye was looking out and part of a tail could be seen.
But No.... it was an eel, in fact not just one eel but five eels all wound together hiding under the rock. "We must rescue them! I wish I could take them home!" said Caiden
"We will need a bucket so we can carry them to another creek with some water" said Nana. It was not easy to hold them, they were soooo slippery and slithered out of the bucket and went in all directions, even between Texie's legs!! Caiden ran up the bank because he thought onc was trying to hide in his shoe.
"This is no good" said Mummy "We will call the wildlife ranger to help."
When John the Wildlife Ranger arrived he was able to safely catch the eels in a bag. "Good work" said John "Now you can free them in a new home". So they took them to waterhole with secret hiding places and plenty of food. "They will live happily here" said everyone, even though they felt a little sad to seem them disappear under the water.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!