Narcissistic Behaviour


The world is a small place, although at the same time it is at once a very large one, massive in fact. Just think about it, you, just a tiny little speck on the surface. A very thin and relativity small area in relation to everything.

Just to comprehend the insignificance of humans on this small place in what appears to be the middle of nowhere is hard to do. Among the many other interesting creature and entity on this puny planet. The beautiful birds, flowing rivers, green fields and even the feeblest mouse appears to have its place, do they also feel that they have an understanding of the world in the same arrogant way that humans do? Perhaps not but who are we to know we don't understand how their minds work yet, let alone ours, which we claim are bigger.

This, among other things, does little to change our minds on the matter of our own individuality. Humans are the same as any other creature, yet we still define other species as being physically and mentally unable to live effectively in a “society”. Yet, exclusive and condescending as we are, this is still undermined by our stupidity. We may not even be able to define a society and if we can it certainly isn't what we live in right now. Do we not ourselves kill each other, brutally, explosively and, in some cases, with no remorse. Punishment is sweet, we think, using our strange, wired brains and emotions. Yet we are the only animal on our puny, gargantuan planet that does this, perhaps the only animal that somehow manages to go against its deeply inbred instincts to do so. Sadly, the one and only reason that we can live successfully in our “societies” is, put quite simply, fear of punishment.

The most profound thing is how we ended up in various societies in the first place. Was it simply a matter of the bigger man took control and eventually the collective got smart enough and powerful enough to overthrow him? Did a vicious cycle begin, till we grew more and more intelligent and crafted and cultivated these societies to an absurd extent? Until we got to a point almost on a knife edge, where if only a few of our large aggregate race loose their wits we don't have anything left.

Would we not just be better off being ignorant in the same way animals are, or at least how we think they are? Would this make as able to allow our species to live more comfortably, without unfounded fear? For as it appears in post modernistic society we only have unfounded fear, unless we are on the brink of losing our insignificant lives. Like the man who knows he will die of a deadly disease eventually. Would he not just be better not knowing at all? It may even cause everybody much less pain to just not know, until suddenly it is upon him. Of course those who survive would feel the loss but is that what really matters? Shouldn't we be worried about enjoying time during existence, because even if you are so inclined to believe a certain way, you will see him again anyway.

Our arrogance goes far enough to force the next generation of our inconsequential race to believe in the same mythical and often morally incorrect beliefs that can force our progeny to destroy itself by any means possible. There are numerous examples throughout our quondam; even at our current time there is loss of our race due to this. Doesn't destroying ourselves simply render the existence of our race pointless? Why bother? What is it going to achieve, apart from pain for both ourselves and in some cases - more importantly - other species that don't possess our stupidity?

Isn't a race that has been led to believe that a great hope will return, a race that has not yet realised that it is most probably not going to happen after more than 2000 years, although its within everybody's “rights” to believe what they want. Eventually we may realise this and advance onwards knowing that we ourselves are the great hope, should we change our ways, for the good of all things living on this infinitesimally small sphere in the middle of nowhere held together by nothing more that a minuscule amount of gravity.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!