Sam's Tale

SAMS TALE
It was a beautiful Monday in Smiths Cove, when Samuel James woke up and trotted down the hall to the dining room. Samuel enjoyed very formal meals like roasted quail seasoned with countless herbs and spices, smothered in sweet chilli sauce. Young Sam had blonde hair and was not of a very big build he wore a short, dark green shorts and a bright blue t-shirt.
It was as ordinary as any morning and the young man couldn’t wait to get out into the cool crisp morning air. Sam was just in the middle of thinking of what he was going to do today, when he was interrupted by the sound of harsh knocking at the door. Before the startled man had reached his feet the door swung open revealing a tall grey haired man, whereing a tall pointed hat wielding a short staff.
The man walked in and sat at the table and looked the bewilder man in the eye, without warning said, “well don’t just stand there offer me a drink. A nice cup of coffee wouldn’t go astray.”
They both sat down and Sam asked “what was all that about? You scared me silly just barging in like that. Then, you start ordering me around telling me to get you a drink and what’s more you didn’t even ask what I had.” Sam concluded breathlessly.
“Well master Samuel James, you see, you are very valuable to me because you are the last of the James’. You probably have no idea but our families started a blood feud many years ago and by killing you, I will be renowned among my family and made Lord of the land of Gollum,” he said with an air of confidence in his voice. Now Sam was terrified. With one swift movement the grey haired stranger jumped up so swiftly he sent his chair toppling backwards and as he drew his staff it sprouted two razor sharp blades out the ends.
Sam barely had time to duck as the blade almost took off his head. He rolled to the floor as the other blade splintered the floor boards to his left. He drew his hidden dagger and threw it with practiced perfection straight at the strangers left shoulder. Unknown to the man it was weighted so that when he tried to stop it impaling his shoulder the weight made it drop so it went straight threw his heart. There was a dull thud as the staff hit the ground and then a loud thwack as the heir to the throne of Gollum was killed. The James race was saved.
By then the whole town had gathered and were watching in awe at Sam and clapping.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!