Waiting By The Lakeside

“Hey Mum,” I called as she was headed down the hallway with a load of washing. She stopped and turned her head to look at me.
“What?” She questioned.
“I was just wondering if I would be able to meet someone?” I asked expectantly.
“Do you know them?” She questioned.
“Yes, they’re a new friend of mine,” I lied. My voice didn’t give anything away. The truth is, I have no idea who the person I am meant to be meeting is, except that I must meet them for a very important reason. The reason being that they have something precious that was stolen from me long ago.
“When will you be meeting this friend of yours?” She asked cautiously.
“Tomorrow, if you allow me!” I replied with enthusiasm. I wasn’t faking anything that time. My enthusiasm was genuine; I really did want to meet this person.
“Well, I guess so. You’ll be home for dinner though, won’t you?” She said.
“Thanks Mum! You’re the best. I should be home for dinner but don’t worry if I’m not!” I answered. I ran over to her, and avoiding the laundry basket, gave her a big hug, all the while smiling with glee.
When I woke up in the morning I had a quick shower, got dressed, ate breakfast and brushed my teeth. I was out the door by nine o’clock. I took the bus to the nearest stop to my destination. I had to walk a little way until I reached the forest that I had to navigate through until I found the lake. Not many people went to the lake by forest but that was where I was supposed to meet the mysterious person.
I sat down by a large oak tree that was a few metres away from the lake’s bank. I waited, and waited, and waited. It was now midday. Maybe I shouldn’t have agreed to meet whoever. It’s probably just some cruel prank that some idiot decided to perform.
I brought lunch with me. I didn’t come unprepared. I must have known somehow that I wouldn’t be home for lunch. I ate the wrap that I had made the night before; it had chicken, lettuce and mayonnaise inside.
As time went on I decided to look at my surroundings. The trees were large with thick bark that looked as if it would be very rough to touch. Dark brown with shades of lighter brown. All the trees were brown. But then the tree leaves were all dark green. Not different greens but all the same. And then there is the beautiful lake with its unique shape and its dazzling water. Blue. Every shade of blue imaginable. Ranging from dark to light and then, completely indescribable.
It was beautiful. Everything. I was surrounded by beautiful things. I looked at the time. If I left now I would make it home in time for dinner. So I left, feeling good about myself.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!