The Human

3rd in the 'Something With Bite 2010' competition

Finally, after days of waiting, her eyes opened and revealed a pair of silver, glistening eyes. They are definitely not human eyes.

They are too perfect.

Then, she took her very first breath. She inhaled the polluted air surrounding her and looked around. She is in a white, padded room surrounded by doctors.

Her heart took its very first beat. The blood flowed through her body. It isn’t her blood, nor is it human.

Lisa. That was her name.
Lisa isn’t sick, nor is she injured. She’s a test subject; a human chosen for a ‘special’ project.

Survival is not guaranteed.

Now, she sits up and pulls the needles out of her arms. Each breath she takes is another emotion; another human emotion. Hope. Fear. Need. Hate. Each new feeling floods into her like a river floods into the sea.
She wants to cry. She needs to cry. The tears never come.

Aliens can’t cry.

Instead, like any other person in her situation would, she screamed. One of those really high pitched screams that would make people cover their ears. Yet, this was a different kind of scream.

It was a scream of absolute fear. A kind of fear no one could ever fully understand. The kind of fear Lisa was experiencing.

She needed to run. She needed to run as far away as possible before her legs gave in and all the human in her was gone.

That’s it; her very last human wish.
She hangs her legs over the side of the bed and tries to push herself up. The doctors rush to her side, holding her down. She kicks. She screams. They violently stick a needle in her arm.

She stops.

They tie her arms and legs to the bed with rope and leave the room.
Her human emotions are starting to fade. Her heartbeat is slowing. Lisa is not giving up hope.

She never will.

Her memories, her human memories, are beginning to fade. All the happy times, the sad times and all those memories in between are now only blurs. The blurs of things that have been and will now be forgotten, fading into the past as quickly and silently as they came.

She struggles. Her fighting spirit has not faded yet.

The ropes rip in two. Aliens have super strength. Her human weakness has faded. They can’t stop her now.
Her feet touch the ground. She gets up and walks towards the door. She stumbles as she walks. She is still under sedation.

She walks out the door and finds her self in a long, white room filled with other chosen humans enduring the transformation process; the gurgling, the shaking; the horrific torture of it all.

She falls to the ground. Her breathing gets faster. Her heart beat slows. Lisa is fading away, her fighting spirit remaining.

Her eyes roll back. Her fingers curl in.

Soon, she will be nothing but a corpse; a soulless being.

The experiment was successful.
The transformation is complete.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!